Consolidation in the Banking Industry: A Homework Assignment
This paper introduces ideas on how to incorporate the internet and spreadsheets as research tools in the study of the effects of consolidation, specifically the effects of consolidation in the banking industry. A homework assignment is described that can be used in any course dealing with consolidation (e.g. managerial economics or money and banking). The homework assignment outlines procedures that can be used to: access insured commercial bank data for a specific state, create a chart to plot return on assets by the natural log of total assets, and run a regression of return on assets as a function of the natural log of total assets using Microsoft Excel.
Volume (Year): 31 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://nysea.bizland.com/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1998.
"The Efficiency Cost Of Market Power In The Banking Industry: A Test Of The "Quiet Life" And Related Hypotheses,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 454-465, August.
- Allen Berger & Timothy Hannan, 1994. "The Efficiency Cost of Market Power in the Banking Industry: A Test of the 'Quiet Life' and Related Hypotheses," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994. "The efficiency cost of market power in the banking industry: a test of the "quiet life" and related hypotheses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Prager, Robin A & Hannan, Timothy H, 1998. "Do Substantial Horizontal Mergers Generate Significant Price Effects? Evidence from the Banking Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 433-52, December.
- Berger, Allen N. & Demsetz, Rebecca S. & Strahan, Philip E., 1999.
"The consolidation of the financial services industry: Causes, consequences, and implications for the future,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 135-194, February.
- Allen N. Berger & Rebecca S. Demsetz & Philip E. Strahan, 1998. "The consolidation of the financial services industry: causes, consequences, and implications for the future," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nye:nyervw:v:31:y:2000:i:1:p:55-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eryk Wdowiak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.