Estimation of the Return on Capital in Municipal Water Systems
Seventy–five small, municipal water systems are analyzed to determine if they employ the least–cost long–run capital stock, and if they minimize cost given the observed level of capital. The social cost of capital exceeds the estimated return on investment by more than four times, and actual production costs are 36 percent above minimum costs. Median capital stock inefficiency, due to overinvestment, is $70,500 per system, and median cost inefficiency is $24,300. Extrapolated to the seven thousand similar systems nationwide, the combined cost of these two types of inefficiency is $663.6 million per year.
Volume (Year): 58 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 529 14th Street NW Suite 750, Washington DC 20045|
Web page: https://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Greene, William H., 1980. "On the estimation of a flexible frontier production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-115, May.
- Greene, W.H., 2000.
"Simulated Likelihood Estimation of the Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Function,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
00-05, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- William H. Greene, 2000. "Simulated Likelihood Estimation of the Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Function," Working Papers 00-05, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Martin Feldstein, 1982. "Capital Taxation," NBER Working Papers 0877, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Braeutigam, Ronald R. & Daughety, Andrew F., 1983. "On the estimation of returns to scale using variable cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 25-31.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:58:y:2005:i:4:p:685-96. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (A. Sinan Unur)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.