The Price Effects of an Emerging Retail Market
This paper analyzes the effects of a changing market structure on the price dynamics of final goods in an emerging Czech retail market. We estimate the extent of up-and downstream market power and find that the changing market structure was responsible for an average yearly price decrease of retailed products by 0.8 percentage points during 2000-2005. At the same time, however, we anticipate that a period of mergers and acquisitions that has already started could cause yearly price increases of retailed products by 1.2 percentage pointsâapproximately 0.5 percentage points in the consumer price index inflationâover the next ten years.
Volume (Year): 47 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/MEEE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/MEEE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karel Janda & Jill J. McCluskey & Gordon C. Rausser, 2000.
"Food Import Demand in the Czech Republic,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 22-44.
- Janda, Karel & Rausser, Gordon C. & McCluskey, Jill, 1998. "Food import demand in the Czech Republic," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt14j5p75j, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Lamm, R McFall, 1981. "Prices and Concentration in the Food Retailing Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 67-78, September.
- Asplund, Marcus & Friberg, Richard, 2002. " Food Prices and Market Structure in Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 547-566, December.
- Howard Smith, 2004. "Supermarket Choice and Supermarket Competition in Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 235-263.
- Newmark, Craig M., 1990. "A new test of the price-concentration relationship in grocery retailing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 369-373, August.
- Peter Thompson & Mihaela Pintea, 2008. "Sorting, Selection, and Industry Shakeouts," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 33(1), pages 23-40, August.
- Horvath, Michael & Schivardi, Fabiano & Woywode, Michael, 2001. "On industry life-cycles: delay, entry, and shakeout in beer brewing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1023-1052, July.
- Barros, Pedro Pita & Brito, Duarte & de Lucena, Diogo, 2006. "Mergers in the food retailing sector: An empirical investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 447-468, February.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A, 1992. "Entry, Exit, and Firm Dynamics in Long Run Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1127-1150, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:eaeuec:v:47:y:2009:i:1:p:92-105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.