Bank Finance versus Bond Finance
We present a dynamic general equilibrium model with agency costs where: i) firms are heterogeneous in the risk of default; ii) they can choose to raise finance through bank loans or corporate bonds; and iii) banks are more efficient than the market in resolving informational problems. The model is used to analyze some major long-run differences in corporate finance between the US and the euro area. We suggest an explanation of those differences based on information availability. Our model replicates the data when the euro area is characterized by limited availability of public information about corporate credit risk relative to the US, and when european firms value more than US firms the flexibility and information acquisition role provided by banks.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879 |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999.
"The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," Working Papers 98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," NBER Working Papers 6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilchrist, Simon & Yankov, Vladimir & Zakrajsek, Egon, 2009.
"Credit market shocks and economic fluctuations: Evidence from corporate bond and stock markets,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 471-493, May.
- Simon Gilchrist & Vladimir Yankov & Egon Zakrajsek, 2009. "Credit Market Shocks and Economic Fluctuations: Evidence from Corporate Bond and Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 14863, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vladimir Yankov & Egon Zakrajsek & Simon Gilchrist, 2009. "Credit Market Shocks and Economic Fluctuations: Evidence from Corporate Bond and Stock Markets," 2009 Meeting Papers 514, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chemmanur, T.J. & Fulghieri, P., 1992.
"Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice Between Bank Loans and Publicity Traded Debt,"
92-24, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994. "Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice between Bank Loans and Publicly Traded Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 475-506.
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gregory Brown & René M. Stulz, 2009.
"Why Do Foreign Firms Have Less Idiosyncratic Risk than U.S. Firms?,"
NBER Working Papers
14931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bartram, Sohnke M. & Brown, Gregory & Stulz, Rene M., 2009. "Why Do Foreign Firms Have Less Idiosyncratic Risk Than U.S. Firms?," Working Paper Series 2009-5, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Mitchell Berlin & Loretta J. Mester, 1990.
"Debt covenants and renegotiation,"
90-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Emery, Kenneth M. & Cantor, Richard, 2005. "Relative default rates on corporate loans and bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1575-1584, June.
- Timothy S. Fuerst & Charles T. Carlstrom, 1998. "Agency costs and business cycles," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 583-597.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 1996.
"Agency costs, net worth, and business fluctuations: a computable general equilibrium analysis,"
9602, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carlstrom, Charles T & Fuerst, Timothy S, 1997. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 893-910, December.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2002. "The Theory of the Firm as Governance Structure: From Choice to Contract," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 171-195, Summer.
- Denis, David J. & Mihov, Vassil T., 2003. "The choice among bank debt, non-bank private debt, and public debt: evidence from new corporate borrowings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 3-28, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:43:y:2011:i:7:p:1399-1421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.