Sticky Prices, Money, and Business Fluctuations
Can nominal contracts create monetary nonneutrality if they arise endogenously in general equilibrium? They can when (1) agents have complete information about the money stock and (2) shocks to the system are purely redistributive and private information so precluding conventional insurance markets. Without contracts, money is neutral toward aggregate quantities. However, risk-sharing between suppliers and demanders creates mutual gains to using nominal contracts. In particular, if an increase in the money-growth rate signals a rise in the dispersion of shocks to demanders' wealth, then prices adjust only partially to monetary shocks and money is positively associated with output. Copyright 1991 by Ohio State University Press.
Volume (Year): 23 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon, Robert J, 1981.
"Output Fluctuations and Gradual Price Adjustment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 493-530, June.
- Smith, B.D., 1988.
"A Model Of Nominal Contracts,"
RCER Working Papers
149, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Estimation and Control of a Macroeconomic Model with Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1267-86, September.
- Parkin, Michael, 1986. "The Output-Inflation Trade-off When Prices Are Costly to Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(1), pages 200-224, February.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Maskin, Eric S. & Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1983.
"Unemployment with Observable Aggregate Shocks,"
3448840, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1982.
"Macroeconomics After a Decade of Rational Expectations: Some Critical Issues,"
NBER Working Papers
1050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1982. "Macroeconomics after a decade of rational expectations : some critical issues," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Nov, pages 3-12.
- Robert G. King & Bharat Trehan, 1983. "The Implications of an Endogenous Money Supply for Monetary Neutrality," NBER Working Papers 1175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Roger Gordon, 2006. "Editor, Journal of Economic Literature," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 510-511, May.
- Barro, Robert J., 1976. "Rational expectations and the role of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Sticky Prices in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1187-1211, December.
- Cooper, Russell, 1988. "Labor contracts and the role of monetary policy in an overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 231-250, April.
- A. Sandmo, 1970. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Saving Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 353-360.
- Rogerson, Richard & Wright, Randall, 1988. "Involuntary unemployment in economies with efficient risk sharing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 501-515.
- Brunner, Karl & Meltzer, Allan H., 1976. "The Phillips curve," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1978. "Escalator clauses and the allocation of cyclical risks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 119-155, June.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 1988. "Money and Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(3), pages 431-446.
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1976. "Wage indexation: A macroeconomic approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 221-235, April.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1977. "Long-Term Contracts, Rational Expectations, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 191-205, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:23:y:1991:i:2:p:243-59. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.