Optimal Resource Use Over Time with an Application to Ground Water
This paper is concerned with optimal allocation over time of a single resource which is either fixed in supply or only partially renewable at a point in time. Some resources which fall in this category are mineral deposits, ground water, petroleum, wildlife, and fish. A functional equation is obtained from a dynamic programming formulation of the problem. This functional equation is used to derive approximate decision rules for resource use as a function of current supply. The results are applied to ground water storage control and tested empirically by comparison with a decision rule obtained by detailed numerical methods.
Volume (Year): 11 (1964)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
- Gardner Brown, 2000. "Renewable Natural Resource Management and Use Without Markets," Working Papers 0025, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Christopher Timmins, 2002. "Measuring the Dynamic Efficiency Costs of Regulators' Preferences: Municipal Water Utilities in the Arid West," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 603-629, March.
- Sittidaj Pongkijvorasin & James Roumasset & Thomas Kae’o Duarte, 2007. "Coastal Groundwater Management with Nearshore Resource Interactions," Working Papers 200713, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Kovacs, Kent & Popp, Michael & Bryce, Kristofer & West, Grant, 2015. "On-Farm Reservoir Adoption in the Presence of Spatially Explicit Groundwater Use and Recharge," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(1), January.
- Leizarowitz, Arie & Tsur, Yacov, 2012. "Renewable resource management with stochastic recharge and environmental threats," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 736-753.
- Gardner M. Brown, 2000. "Renewable Natural Resource Management and Use without Markets," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(4), pages 875-914, December.
- Xie, Yang & Zilberman, David, 2014. "The Economics of Water Project Capacities under Optimal Water Inventory Management," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6c24636b, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Pfeiffer, Lisa & Lin, C.-Y. Cynthia, 2012.
"Groundwater pumping and spatial externalities in agriculture,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 16-30.
- Pfeiffer, Lisa & Lin, C.Y. Cynthia, 2009. "Groundwater Pumping and Spatial Externalities in Agriculture," Working Papers 225899, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Edna Tusak Loehman, 2014. "Social Investment for Sustainability of Groundwater: A Revealed Preference Approach," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(9), pages 1-41, August.
- Kiran Krishnamurthy, Chandra, 2012. "Optimal Management of Groundwater under Uncertainty: A Unified Approach," CERE Working Papers 2012:19, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics, revised 30 Jun 2014.
- Anonymous, 1991. "Environmental Quality And Land Values," Staff Papers 13399, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Xie, Yang & Zilberman, David, 2015. "Water-Storage Capacities versus Water-Use Efficiency: Substitutes or Complements?," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 211894, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Xie, Yang & Zilberman, David, 2015. "Water Storage Capacities versus Water Use Efficiency: Substitutes or Complements?," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 205439, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association;Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Pongkijvorasin, Sittidaj & Roumasset, James & Duarte, Thomas Kaeo & Burnett, Kimberly, 2010. "Renewable resource management with stock externalities: Coastal aquifers and submarine groundwater discharge," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 277-291, August.
- Sittidaj Pongkijvorasin & James Roumasset & Thomas Kaeo Duarte & Kimberly Burnett, 2008. "Renewable Resource Management with Stock Externalities: Coastal Aquifers and Submarine Groundwater Discharge," Working Papers 200808, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Daniel A. Brent, 2014. "The Value of Heterogeneous Property Rights and the Costs of Water Volatility," Monash Economics Working Papers 45-14, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Xie, Yang & Zilberman, David, 2014. "The Economics of Water Project Capacities and Conservation Technologies," 2014 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2014, Minneapolis, Minnesota 169820, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 1994. "Uncertainty And Irreversibility In Groundwater Resource Management," Staff Papers 13590, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Brent, Daniel A., 2013. "The Value of Heterogeneous Property Rights: The Costs of Water Volatility," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149698, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gao, Yang & Williams, Ryan Blake & Mitchell, Donna M., 2016. "Cap and trade markets for groundwater: Efficiency and distributional effects of the permit allocation mechanism," 2016 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2016, San Antonio, Texas 230015, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 2002. "Endangered Aquifers: Groundwater Management Under Threats Of Catastrophic Events," Discussion Papers 14993, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- repec:kap:enreec:v:67:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s10640-015-9989-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brown, Casey & Rogers, Peter & Lall, Upmanu, 2006. "Demand management of groundwater with monsoon forecasting," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-3), pages 293-311, October.
- Dumsday, Robert G. & Nolan, J. & Kennedy, John O.S., 1991. "Do Dynamic Programming Models Improve Decision-Making on the Conjunctive Use of Surface and Groundwater Resources?," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145856, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:11:y:1964:i:1:p:80-93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed