An Approach to Litter Generation and Littering Practices in a Mexico City Neighborhood
Urban litter is generated by human societies everywhere. Some litter is recyclable waste. In this study, the acronym RMSW is used to refer to recyclable municipal solid waste generated in streets. Public attitude towards RMSW generation, generatorsâ€™ perceptions, and quantification of RMSW in streets were examined in a Mexico City neighborhood, where litter presence causes major environmental problems affecting the population year after year. Interviews with neighborhood residents and item counts were carried out from 2010 to 2011. In all, 58% of interviewees reported generating RMSW at variable frequencies while 42% said they did not generate this kind of waste. Laziness, lack of vigilance by municipal authorities, no litter bins in streets, and imitation were the main causes identified by interviewees as reasons for littering. Potential litter generators may be of any age, educational level or income. Intervieweesâ€™ perception of RMSW generation was compared with item counts in the neighborhood studied.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ida Ferrara, 2008. "Waste Generation and Recycling," OECD Journal: General Papers, OECD Publishing, vol. 2008(2), pages 19-58.
- Benno Torgler & Maria A. Garcia-Valinas & Alison Macintyre, 2012.
"Justifiability of Littering: An Empirical Investigation,"
White Horse Press, vol. 21(2), pages 209-231, May.
- Benno Torgler & María A.García-Valiñas & Alison Macintyre, 2008. "Justifiability of Littering: An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers 2008.59, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Benno Torgler & MarÃa A.GarcÃa-ValiÃ±as & Alison Macintyre, 2008. "Justifiability of Littering: An Empirical Investigation," CREMA Working Paper Series 2008-08, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Benno Torgler & Maria A. Garcia-Valinas & Alison Macintyre, 2008. "Justifiability of Littering: An Empirical Investigation," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 233, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology, revised 17 Jun 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jsusta:v:4:y:2012:i:8:p:1733-1754:d:19394. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.