Joint venture instability and monitoring
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to build a theory of joint venture formation and instability based on synergy and monitoring. Design/methodology/approach - This problem is formulated as a dynamic game and solved using the notion of subgame perfect Nash equilibrium. Findings - It was found that monitoring problems may prevent the joint venture from forming at all. Moreover, joint venture formation usually involves over-monitoring, and Originality/value - The contribution of this paper is both methodological, as well as in terms of generation of new insight. It provides a framework that allows one to analyze issues like both sided moral hazard, as well as monitoring in joint ventures. New insights are that monitoring issues can take several forms including over- and under-monitoring by partner firms, and, there is a linkage between such monitoring problems and joint venture instability.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/igdr.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yu, Eden S. H. & Chi-Chur, Chao, 1996. "Are wholly foreign-owned enterprises better than joint ventures?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 225-237, February.
- Ray Chaudhuri, Prabal, 1995. "Technological asymmetry and joint product development," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 23-39, March.
- Miller, R-R & Glen, J-D & Jaspersen, F-Z & Karmokolias, Y, 1996. "International Joint Ventures in Developing Countries. Happy Marriages?," Papers 29, World Bank - International Finance Corporation.
- Jan Svejnar & Stephen C. Smith, 1984. "The Economics of Joint Ventures in Less Developed Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(1), pages 149-167.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-1137, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, "undated". "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Combs, K. L., 1993. "The role of information sharing in cooperative research and development," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 535-551.
- Mukherjee, Arijit & Sengupta, Sarbajit, 2001. "Joint Ventures versus Fully Owned Subsidiaries: Multinational Strategies in Liberalizing Economies," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 163-180, February.
- Choi, Jay Pil, 1993. "Cooperative R&D with product market competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 553-571.
- Roy Chowdhury, Indrani & Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2001. "A theory of joint venture life-cycles," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 319-343, March.
- Marjit, Sugata, 1991. "Incentives for cooperative and non-cooperative R and D in duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 187-191, October.
- Sinha, Uday Bhanu, 2001. "Imitative innovation and international joint ventures: a dynamic analysis," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1527-1562, December.
- Das, Satya P, 1999. "Direct Foreign Investment versus Licensing," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 86-97, February.
- Satya P. Das, 1998. "On the choice of international joint venture: the role of policy moral hazard," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 135-150.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:igdrpp:v:2:y:2009:i:2:p:126-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.