On exceedances of high levels
The distribution of the excess process describing heights of extreme values can be approximated by the distribution of a Poisson cluster process. An estimate of the accuracy of such an approximation has been derived in  in terms of the Wasserstein distance. The paper presents a sharper estimate established in terms of the stronger total variation distance. We derive also a new bound to the accuracy of negative Binomial approximation to the distribution of the number of exceedances.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 122 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Novak, S. Y., 2002. "Multilevel clustering of extremes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 59-75, January.
- Roos, Bero, 2001. "Sharp constants in the Poisson approximation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 155-168, April.
- Roos, Bero, 1999. "On the Rate of Multivariate Poisson Convergence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 120-134, April.
- Novak, S. Y., 2003. "On the accuracy of multivariate compound Poisson approximation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 35-43, March.
- Michel, R., 1987. "An Improved Error Bound for the Compound Poisson Approximation of a Nearly Homogeneous Portfolio," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 165-169, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:122:y:2012:i:2:p:582-599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.