On exceedances of high levels
The distribution of the excess process describing heights of extreme values can be approximated by the distribution of a Poisson cluster process. An estimate of the accuracy of such an approximation has been derived in  in terms of the Wasserstein distance. The paper presents a sharper estimate established in terms of the stronger total variation distance. We derive also a new bound to the accuracy of negative Binomial approximation to the distribution of the number of exceedances.
Volume (Year): 122 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Novak, S. Y., 2003. "On the accuracy of multivariate compound Poisson approximation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 35-43, March.
- Roos, Bero, 1999. "On the Rate of Multivariate Poisson Convergence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 120-134, April.
- Michel, R., 1987. "An Improved Error Bound for the Compound Poisson Approximation of a Nearly Homogeneous Portfolio," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 165-169, November.
- Roos, Bero, 2001. "Sharp constants in the Poisson approximation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 155-168, April.
- Novak, S. Y., 2002. "Multilevel clustering of extremes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 59-75, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:122:y:2012:i:2:p:582-599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.