Cooperative labor allocation under uncertainty
Understanding the allocation of labor between collective and private activities within cooperatives has been an issue of interest for economists and policy makers. This paper extends existing literature by incorporating income uncertainty from both private and collective activities, and by assuming that members are risk averse. The analysis suggests a member's labor response to policy parameters can be decomposed into three components: the mean effect, reflecting the labor response under certainty or risk neutrality; the variance effect, reflecting the response to changes in risk; and the wealth effect, reflecting the response to changes in risk aversion associated with changes in wealth. The analysis demonstrates the labor response may be reversed from the certainty or risk neutral case, due to a stronger, opposing variance effect.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Putterman, Louis, 1980. "Voluntary collectivization: A model of producers' institutional choice," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 125-157, June.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Chinn, Dennis L., 1979. "Team cohesion and collective-labor supply in Chinese agriculture," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 375-394, December.
- Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1983. "Stochastic Structure, Farm Size and Technology Adoption in Developing Agriculture," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 307-328, July.
- Bonin, John P., 1977. "Work incentives and uncertainty on a collective farm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 77-97, March.
- Chinn, Dennis L., 1980. "Diligence and laziness in chinese agricultural production teams," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 331-344, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:13:y:1989:i:4:p:539-552. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.