A note on firm-productivity and foreign direct investment
Assuming linear demand and unit transportation cost, Head and Ries (2003, 'Heterogeneity and the FDI versus export decision of Japanese manufacturers', Journal of the Japanese and International Economies) conclude that the theoretical prediction of Helpman et al. (2004, 'Export versus FDI with heterogeneous firms', The American Economic Review), which show that the more productive firms undertake FDI and the less productive firms export, does not depend on their assumptions of CES preferences and iceberg transportation costs. Considering iceberg transportation costs in an otherwise similar setup of Head and Ries (2003), we show that the theoretical prediction of Helpman et al. (2004) may not hold. Hence, CES preference in Helpman et al. (2004) is important for their theoretical results.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sourafel Girma & Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2005. "Exports versus FDI: An Empirical Test," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(2), pages 193-218, July.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004. "Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," Scholarly Articles 3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2007. "Firm heterogeneity, exporting and foreign direct investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages 134-161, 02.
- Jože P. Damijan & Sašo Polanec & Janez Prašnikar, 2007. "Outward FDI and Productivity: Micro-evidence from Slovenia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 135-155, 01.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2003. "Heterogeneity and the FDI versus export decision of Japanese manufacturers," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 448-467, December.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2003. "Heterogeneity and the FDI versus Export Decision of Japanese Manufacturers," NBER Working Papers 10052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arijit Mukherjee & Sugata Marjit, 2009. "Firm productivity and foreign direct investment: a non-monotonic relationship," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(1), pages 230-237. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)