Liquidity Provision And Banking Crises With Heterogeneous Agents
Incentive compatibility constraints that produce contracts where short-term funds choose not to deposit will prevent banking crises, but at the cost of losing the insurance function of banks. Restricting short-term deposits may not be optimal at all times, since the cost of doing so may be greater than the expected loss in allowing crises to occur with positive probability.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): S1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDY
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bryant, John, 1980. "A model of reserves, bank runs, and deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-344, December.
- Huberto M. Ennis & Todd Keister, 2003.
"Economic growth, liquidity, and bank runs,"
03-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Falko Fecht & Antoine Martin, 2005.
"Banks, markets, and efficiency,"
210, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Falko Fecht & Antoine Martin, 2005. "Banks, Markets, and Efficiency," Finance 0507017, EconWPA.
- Fecht, Falko & Martin, Antoine, 2005. "Banks, markets, and efficiency," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2005,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209, April.
- Bruce D. Smith, 2002. "Monetary Policy, Banking Crises, and the Friedman Rule," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 128-134, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:macdyn:v:13:y:2009:i:s1:p:118-132_08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.