Piecework versus merit pay: a mean field games approach to academic behavior
This paper applies the mean field game approach pioneered by Lasry and Lions  to the analysis of researchers’ academic productivity. It provides a theoretical motivation for the stability of the universally observed Lotka’s law. It shows that a remuneration scheme taking into account researchers’ rank with respect to the academic resume can induce a larger number of researchers to overtake a minimal production standard. It thus appears as superior to piecework remuneration.
Volume (Year): 122 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-d-economie-politique.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn Ellison, 2013.
"How Does the Market Use Citation Data? The Hirsch Index in Economics,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(3), pages 63-90, July.
- Glenn Ellison, 2010. "How Does the Market Use Citation Data? The Hirsch Index in Economics," NBER Working Papers 16419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison, 2010. "How does the Market Use Citation Data? The Hirsch Index in Economics," CESifo Working Paper Series 3188, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2001:i:62:p:03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Courtault, Jean-Michel & Hayek, Naïla & Rimbaux, Eric & Zhu, Tong, 2010. "Research in economics and management in France: A bibliometric study using the h-index," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 329-337, April.
- Jean-Michel Courtault & Naïla Hayek & Eric Rimbaux & Tong Zhu, 2010. "Research in Economics and Management in France: A bibliometric study using the h-index," Post-Print hal-00489936, HAL.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2001:i:62:p:02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Louis Lévy-Garboua, 2008. "Rapport sur le premier concours national d'agrégation de l'enseignement supérieur pour le recrutement de Professeurs des Universités en Sciences Economiques (Année 2007-2008)," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 118(5), pages 603-623.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua, 2008. "Rapport sur le premier concours national d'agrégation de l'enseignement supérieur pour le recrutement de Professeurs des Universités en Sciences Économiques (Année 2007-2008)," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00649157, HAL.
- Steve Swidler & Elizabeth Goldreyer, 1998. "The Value of a Finance Journal Publication," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 351-363, 02.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Linnemer, Laurent & Visser, Michael, 2008. "Publish or peer-rich? The role of skills and networks in hiring economics professors," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 423-441, June.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Laurent Linnemer & Michael Visser, 2006. "Publish or peer-rich ? The role of skills and networks in hiring economics professors," Research Unit Working Papers 0604, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Dubois, Pierre & Rochet, Jean-Charles & Schlenker, Jean-Marc, 2010. "What Does It Take to Become a Good Mathematician?," TSE Working Papers 10-160, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Xavier Gabaix, 2009. "Power Laws in Economics and Finance," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 255-294, 05.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008. "Power Laws in Economics and Finance," NBER Working Papers 14299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arthur M. Diamond Jr., 1986. "What is a Citation Worth?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(2), pages 200-215. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:repdal:redp_224_0547. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.