Le commerce extérieur français à la dérive ?
This paper deals with recent developments in foreign trade and notably with the fall of the French market shares. We first describe the deterioration of the French external trade since the beginning of the 2000?s. We show that within the euro zone, Germany is the exception rather than France, and that the difference between both countries cannot be explained by geographical or sector specialization. We analyse then different competitiveness indicators. We show that French companies succeed in containing prices by reducing margins, and that classic modelling using price-competitiveness does not manage to explain market share deterioration. Finally, we extend the standard model with nonprice competitiveness, supply indicators, and we introduce an indicator of world trade openness to take into account the emergence of new actors in world trade. JEL classification: F140, F170.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1988. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nivat, D. & Villetelle, J-P., 2006. "Les mauvaises performances du commerce extérieur de la France sont-elles liées à un problème de demande ?," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 146, pages 21-31.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Sarah Guillou, 2008.
"Pourquoi les entreprises françaises souffrent-elles de la force de l'euro ?,"
- Sarah Guillou, 2008. "Pourquoi les entreprises françaises souffrent-elles de la force de l'euro ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/6188, Sciences Po.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard, 2008.
"L'énigme des exportations revisitée : que faut-il retenir des données de panel ?,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/6404, Sciences Po.
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard, 2008. "L'énigme des exportations revisitée. Que faut-il retenir des données de panel ?," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 67-100.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/6188 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_106_0029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.