Risk Premia in Electricity Forward Prices
We investigate the presence of significant electricity forward risk premia, using data from three major continental European energy markets - German, Dutch and French. We introduce the risk premium in the framework of a standard electricity spot/forward unobserved factor model, and derive the implied forward price behaviour. We then assess the term-structure and time-evolution of the risk premia for each of the markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
- Michel Culot & Valérie Goffin & Steve Lawford & Sébastien De Meten & Yves Smeers, 2013. "Practical stochastic modelling of electricity prices," Post-Print hal-01021603, HAL.
- Abadie, Luis M. & Chamorro, José M., 2009.
"Monte Carlo valuation of natural gas investments,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 10-22, January.
- Abadie, Luis María & Chamorro Gómez, José Manuel, 2006. "Monte Carlo Valuation of natural gas investments," IKERLANAK 2006-25, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Pietz, Matthäus, 2009. "Risk premia in electricity wholesale spot markets: empirical evidence from Germany," CEFS Working Paper Series 2009-11, Technische Universität München (TUM), Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS).
- Botterud, Audun & Kristiansen, Tarjei & Ilic, Marija D., 2010. "The relationship between spot and futures prices in the Nord Pool electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 967-978, September.
- Aziz Chouikh & Abdelwahed Trabelsi, 2014. "Modeling Risk Premia in Forward Foreign Exchange Rates as Unobserved Components: The Model Identification Problem," International Journal of Financial Research, International Journal of Financial Research, Sciedu Press, vol. 5(3), pages 119-135, July.
- Povh, Martin & Fleten, Stein-Erik, 2009. "Modeling long-term electricity forward prices," MPRA Paper 13162, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marius Paschen, 2016. "The effect of intermittent renewable supply on the forward premium in German electricity markets," Working Papers V-397-16, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2016.
- George Daskalakis, Lazaros Symeonidis, Raphael N. Markellos, 2015. "Electricity futures prices in an emissions constrained economy: Evidence from European power markets," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3).
- Benth, Fred Espen & Biegler-König, Richard & Kiesel, Rüdiger, 2013. "An empirical study of the information premium on electricity markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 55-77.
- Fred Espen Benth & Jūratė Šaltytė Benth & Steen Koekebakker, 2008. "Stochastic Modeling of Electricity and Related Markets," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 6811, March.
- María Dolores Furió & Vicente Meneu, 2009. "Expectations and Forward Risk Premium in the Spanish Power Market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Robert Flasza & Milan Rippel & Jan Šolc, 2011. "Modelling Long-Term Electricity Contracts at EEX," Working Papers IES 2011/08, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Mar 2011.
- Pietz, Matthäus, 2009. "Risk premia in the German electricity futures market," CEFS Working Paper Series 2009-07, Technische Universität München (TUM), Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS).
- Weron, Rafał & Zator, Michał, 2014. "Revisiting the relationship between spot and futures prices in the Nord Pool electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 178-190.
- Rafal Weron & Michal Zator, 2013. "Revisiting the relationship between spot and futures prices in the Nord Pool electricity market," HSC Research Reports HSC/13/08, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Stefan Trück & Rafał Weron, 2016. "Convenience Yields and Risk Premiums in the EU‐ETS—Evidence from the Kyoto Commitment Period," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 36(6), pages 587-611, 06.
- Stefan Trück & Rafal Weron, 2015. "Convenience yields and risk premiums in the EU-ETS - Evidence from the Kyoto commitment period," HSC Research Reports HSC/15/03, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Stefan Trück & Wolfgang Härdle & Rafal Weron, 2012. "The relationship between spot and futures CO2 emission allowance prices in the EU-ETS," HSC Research Reports HSC/12/02, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weron, Rafal, 2008. "Market price of risk implied by Asian-style electricity options and futures," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1098-1115, May.
- Marckhoff, Jan & Wimschulte, Jens, 2009. "Locational price spreads and the pricing of contracts for difference: Evidence from the Nordic market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 257-268, March.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2010. "Modelling risk premia in CO2 allowances spot and futures prices," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 717-729, May.
- Christian Redl & Derek Bunn, 2013. "Determinants of the premium in forward contracts," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 90-111, January.
- Carlos Pinho & Mara Madaleno, 2011. "Links between spot and futures allowances: ECX and EEX markets comparison," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 35(2/3/4), pages 101-131.
- Daskalakis, George & Markellos, Raphael N., 2009. "Are electricity risk premia affected by emission allowance prices? Evidence from the EEX, Nord Pool and Powernext," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2594-2604, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:10:y:2006:i:3:n:7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed