Risk and Return within the Single-Family Housing Market
The trade-off between risk and return in equity markets is well established. This paper examines the existence of the same trade-off in the single-family housing market. That market is dominated by homeowners, who constitute about two-thirds of U.S. households. For them the choice about how much housing and what house to buy is a joint consumption-investment decision. Furthermore, owner-occupied housing is by nature a lumpy investment whose risk cannot be completely diversified. Does this consumption-investment link negate the risk-return trade-off within the single-family housing market? Theory suggests the link still holds. This paper supplies empirical evidence in support of that theoretical result. Copyright American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Volume (Year): 27 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405|
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1080-8620|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1990.
"The Single Family Home In The Investment Portfolio,"
fb-_90-15, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Goetzmann, William Nelson, 1993. "The Single Family Home in the Investment Portfolio," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 201-22, May.
- Robert J. Shiller & Karl E. Case, 1988.
"The Behavior of Home Buyers in Boom and Post-Boom Markets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
890, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The behavior of home buyers in boom and post-boom markets," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Nov, pages 29-46.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The Behavior of Home Buyers in Boom and Post-Boom Markets," NBER Working Papers 2748, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berkovec, James, 1989. "A General Equilibrium Model of Housing Consumption and Investment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 157-72, September.
- Archer*, Wayne R. & Gatzlaff+, Dean H. & Ling*, David C., 1996. "Measuring the Importance of Location in House Price Appreciation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 334-353, November.
- Theodore M. Crone & Richard Voith, 1992.
"Estimating house price appreciation: a comparison of methods,"
92-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Crone, Theodore M. & Voith, Richard P., 1992. "Estimating house price appreciation: A comparison of methods," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 324-338, December.
- Brueckner, Jan K, 1997. "Consumption and Investment Motives and the Portfolio Choices of Homeowners," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 159-80, October.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Richard Meyer & Kenneth Wieand, 1996. "Risk and Return to Housing, Tenure Choice and the Value of Housing in an Asset Pricing Context," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 113-131.
- William N. Goetzmann & Roger G. Ibbotson, 1990. "The Performance Of Real Estate As An Asset Class," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 3(1), pages 65-76.
- Roger G. Ibbotson & Laurence B. Siegel, 1984. "Real Estate Returns: A Comparison with Other Investments," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 219-242.
- Gat, Daniel, 1994. "Risk and Return in Residential Spatial Markets: An Empiric and Theoretic Model," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 51-67, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:reesec:v:27:y:1999:i:1:p:63-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.