Credit default swap and bond markets: which leads the other?
We analyse the links between credit default swaps (CDSs) and bonds and try to determine which is the leader in the price discovery process. As the respective sizes of the markets are quite different for sovereigns and corporates, we consider a sample including both categories. For each entity, we compare CDS premia with spreads on a generic 5-year bond. The results show that the CDS market has a lead over the bond market for corporates. Moreover, the CDS market’s lead has been fuelled by the current crisis. This also holds for sovereigns, although not for low-yield countries.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 14 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
- Delatte, Anne-Laure & Gex, Mathieu & López-Villavicencio, Antonia, 2012.
"Has the CDS market influenced the borrowing cost of European countries during the sovereign crisis?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 481-497.
- Anne-Laure Delatte & Mathieu Gex & Antonia Lòpez-Villavicencio, 2011. "Has the CDS market influenced the borrowing cost of European countries during the sovereign crisis?," Post-Print hal-00714071, HAL.
- Anne-Laure Delatte & Mathieu Gex & Antonia Lopez Villavicencio, 2012. "Has the CDS Market Influenced the Borrowing Cost of European Countries During the Sovereign Crisis?," Post-Print hal-01410599, HAL.
- Anne-Laure Delatte & Mathieu Gex & Antonia Lòpez-Villavicencio, 2011. "Has the CDS market influenced the borrowing cost of European countries during the sovereign crisis?," Post-Print hal-00658200, HAL.
- Anne-Laure Delatte & Mathieu Gex & Antonia Lòpez-Villavicencio, 2012. "Has the CDS Market influenced the borrowing cost of European countries during the sovereign crisis?," Post-Print hal-00739732, HAL.
- Vuillemey, Guillaume & Peltonen, Tuomas A., 2015. "Disentangling the bond–CDS nexus: A stress test model of the CDS market," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 32-45.
- Peltonen, Tuomas & Vuillemey, Guillaume, 2013. "Disentangling the bond-CDS nexus: a stress test model of the CDS market," Working Paper Series 1599, European Central Bank.
- Shahzad, Syed Jawad Hussain & Nor, Safwan Mohd & Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2017. "Directional and bidirectional causality between U.S. industry credit and stock markets and their determinants," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 46-61.
- Shahzad, Syed Jawad Hussain & Nor, Safwan Mohd & Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2016. "Directional and bidirectional causality between U.S. industry credit and stock markets and their determinants," MPRA Paper 74705, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Oct 2016.
- Alessandro Carboni, 2011. "The sovereign credit default swap market: price discovery, volumes and links with banks' risk premia," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 821, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Agata Kliber, 2013. "Influence of the Greek Crisis on the Risk Perception of European Economies," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 5(2), pages 125-161, June.
- León, Carlos & Leiton, Karen & Pérez, Jhonatan, 2014. "Extracting the sovereigns’ CDS market hierarchy: A correlation-filtering approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 415(C), pages 407-420.
- Carlos Eduardo Léon Rincón & Karen Juliet Leiton & Jhonatan Pérez Villalobos, 2013. "Extracting the sovereigns´ CDS market hierarchy: a correlation-filtering approach," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 010749, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos Eduardo León Rincón & Karen Julieth Leiton & Jhonatan Perez Villalobos, 2013. "Extracting the sovereigns’ CDS market hierarchy: a correlation-filtering approach," Borradores de Economia 766, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Patrick Augustin, 2012. "Sovereign Credit Default Swap Premia," Working Papers 12-10, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- da Silva, Paulo Pereira & Rebelo, Paulo Tomaz & Afonso, Cristina, 2014. "Tail dependence of financial stocks and CDS markets: Evidence using copula methods and simulation-based inference," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 8, pages 1-27.
- da Silva, Paulo Pereira & Rebelo, Paulo Tomaz & Afonso, Cristina, 2013. "Tail dependence of financial stocks and CDS markets: Evidence using copula methods and simulation-based inference," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-52, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Agata Kliber & Barbara Bedowska-Sojka, 2013. "Economic Situation of the Country or Risk in the World Financial Market? The Dynamics of Polish Sovereign Credit Default Swap Spreads," Dynamic Econometric Models, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 13, pages 87-106.
- Lamia Bekkour & Thorsten Lehnert & Maria Chiara Amadari, 2011. "The Relative Informational Efficiency of Stocks, Options and Credit Default Swaps," LSF Research Working Paper Series 11-04, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- DEBARSY, Nicolas & DOSSOUGOIN, Cyrille & ERTUR, Cem & GNABO, Jean-Yves, 2016. "Measuring sovereign risk spillovers and assessing the role of transmission channels: a spatial econometrics approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2016053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tropeano, D., 2013. "Financial Fragility in the Current European crisis," CITYPERC Working Paper Series 2013-09, Department of International Politics, City University London.
- Augustin, Patrick & Subrahmanyam, Marti G. & Tang, Dragon Yongjun & Wang, Sarah Qian, 2014. "Credit Default Swaps: A Survey," Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance, now publishers, vol. 9(1-2), pages 1-196, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:fisrev:2010:14:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed