Banking Credit, Policy Interest Rate and Reserve Requirements in Peru
This paper evaluates the relevance of the "bank lending channel" of monetary policy transmission in Peru with disaggregated monthly data of the Peruvian banks balance sheets from January 2003 to December 2011. We study two policy instruments used during the inflation targeting regime: the short-term interest rate or policy rate and the reserve requirements on banks deposits. In a Bernanke-Blinder model where the monetary authority sets the interest rate instead of a monetary aggregate, the increases in both policy instruments have a negative impact on economic activity and bank loans. Using dynamic panel data techniques, we find that the short-term interest rate and the reserve requirements have a negative impact on the growth rate of bank loans.
Volume (Year): 1 (2012)
Issue (Month): 65-66 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (54-11) 4348-3582
Fax: (54-11) 4000-1257
Web page: http://www.bcra.gov.ar
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2003. "A Panel Data Test of the Bank Lending Channel in Sweden," Working Papers 2003:16, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Sevestre, Patrick & Martinez-Pages, Jorge & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001.
"Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2001,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge & Sevestre, Patrick & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0105, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0118, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martï¿½nez-Pagï¿½s & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Fynancial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 432, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
NBER Working Papers
5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Working Papers 95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques, 2008.
"Securitization and the bank lending channel,"
1101, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marquï¿½s, 2007. "Securitisation and the bank lending channel," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 653, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2007. "Securitisation and the bank lending channel," Working Paper Series 0838, European Central Bank.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2004.
"How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?,"
NBER Working Papers
10295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994.
"Monetary Policy and Bank Lending,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 221-261
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeda, Tony & Rocha, Fabiana & Nakane, Márcio I., 2005. "The Reaction of Bank Lending to Monetary Policy in Brazil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 59(1), January.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2001.
"Bank-Specific Characteristics and Monetary Policy Transmission: The Case of Italy,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
430, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2001. "Bank-specific characteristics and monetary policy transmission: the case of Italy," Working Paper Series 0103, European Central Bank.
- Weth, Mark A., 2002. "The pass-through from market interest rates to bank lending rates in Germany," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,11, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Castillo, Paul & Barco, Daniel, 2009. "Crisis financieras y manejo de reservas en el Perú," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 17, pages 85-112.
- Oscar Dancourt & Waldo Mendoza, 2002. "Modelos macroeconómicos para una economía dolarizada," Libros PUCP / PUCP Books, Fondo Editorial de la Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, edition 1, number lde-2002-02, December.
- Worms, Andreas, 2001. "The reaction of bank lending to monetary policy measures in Germany," Working Paper Series 0096, European Central Bank.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcr:ensayo:v:1:y:2012:i:65-66:p:41-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Grillo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.