IDEAS home Printed from https://ideas.repec.org/a/bbs/prospe/v4y2017i1p42-62.html
   My bibliography  Save this article

Tőkevonzás vagy -taszítás? A befektetésösztönzési politika változásai a rendszerváltás utáni Magyarországon

Author

Listed:
  • Szanyi Miklós

Abstract

The author distinguishes four stages of the development of Hungary’s policy towards foreign direct investment. Right after the systemic transformation Hungary welcomed wholeheartedly foreign investors, mostly in connection with the large-scale privatisation of formerly government-held assets. It was in this period (i.e. 1990–1996) when Hungary created the most important components of a business environment indispensable for the operation of a market economy. In the second stage (1997–2003) the government tried to attract green field investments, applying a wide variety of incentives (mostly of fiscal nature) and setting up the International Trade and Development Agency (ITD Hungary). As a result, the share of foreign-owned enterprises attained a relatively high level both in the production of GDP and exports. After Hungary’s EU accession (2004) the incentives of the previous periods could not be upheld any more since they did not comply with the regulations of the EU’s competition policy. As an EU member state, Hungary lost most of its attractiveness and enterprises employing large numbers of semi-skilled workers started to leave the country. Since 2010, when the current government came to power, some controversial tendencies have surfaced: the government has been striving to increase the share of Hungarian-owned enterprises and has deployed a differentiated strategy vis-à-vis the subsidiaries of foreign companies. Te general climate for foreign investments deteriorated since the government tried to place most of the burden of the recent economic crisis on the shoulders of multinational companies operating in Hungary (primarily in the field of banking, energy supply, retail and telecommunications).

Suggested Citation

• Szanyi Miklós, 2017. "Tőkevonzás vagy -taszítás? A befektetésösztönzési politika változásai a rendszerváltás utáni Magyarországon," Prosperitas, Budapest Business University, vol. 4(1), pages 42-62.
  • Handle: RePEc:bbs:prospe:v:4:y:2017:i:1:p:42-62
    as

Download full text from publisher

File URL: https://publikaciotar.uni-bge.hu/id/eprint/1084/1/Szanyi-M..pdf
    File Function: original version
    Download Restriction: no
    ---><---

Corrections

All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbs:prospe:v:4:y:2017:i:1:p:42-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

We have no bibliographic references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .

If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Zsolt Kovács (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/bgfbuhu.html .

Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

IDEAS is a RePEc service. RePEc uses bibliographic data supplied by the respective publishers.