Testing for symmetric error distribution in nonparametric regression models
AbstractFor the problem of testing symmetry of the error distribution in a nonparametric regression model we propose as a test statistic the difference between the two empirical distribution functions of estimated residuals and their counterparts with opposite signs. The weak convergence of the difference process to a Gaussian process is shown. The covariance structure of this process depends heavily on the density of the error distribution, and for this reason the performance of a symmetric wild bootstrap procedure is discussed in asymptotic theory and by means of a simulation study. In contrast to the available procedures the new test is also applicable under heteroscedasticity. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen in its series Technical Reports with number 2003,11.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Vogelpothsweg 78, D-44221 Dortmund
Phone: (0231) 755-3125
Fax: (0231) 755-5284
Web page: http://www.statistik.tu-dortmund.de/sfb475.html
More information through EDIRC
empirical process of residuals; testing for symmetry; nonparametric regression;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyndman, R.J. & Yao, Q., 1998.
"Nonparametric Estimation and Symmetry Tests for Conditional Density Functions,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
17/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Qiwei Yao & Rob J. Hyndman, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation and symmetry tests for conditional density functions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6092, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Koziol, James A., 1985. "A note on testing symmetry with estimated parameters," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 227-230, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521496032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Carlos Escanciano, J., 2007. "Nonparametric tests for conditional symmetry in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 652-682, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.