Exports under the Flicker of the Northern Lights
AbstractPicture a small open economy in the North Atlantic Ocean, highly dependent on trade with the EU and NAFTA. How important are these trading blocs to the country's exports? How important is the country's location and size, and how do these affect the export sectors? A unique version of the gravity model is applied here using an inverse hyperbolic sine function. Typically, the export volume is significantly impacted by the economic size of the exporting country, but in this case it is not. This suggests that the exports from small remote economies are driven by different factors than exports from large conomies. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Economics Discussion Papers with number 2008-17.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Exports; gravity model; free trade agreements; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann & Dierk Herzer & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso & Sebastian Vollmer, 2007.
"The Impact of a Customs Union between Turkey and the EU on Turkey's Exports to the EU,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 719-743, 09.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann Danzinger & Dierk Herzer & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso & Sebastian Vollmer, 2005. "The Impact of a Customs Union between Turkey and the EU on Turkey's Exports to the EU," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 483, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Abraham, Filip & Van Hove, Jan, 2005.
"The rise of China: Prospects of regional trade policy,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/98976, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Filip Abraham & Jan Van Hove, 2005. "The Rise of China: Prospects of Regional Trade Policy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(3), pages 486-509, October.
- Abraham, Filip & Van Hove, Jan, 2005. "The rise of China : prospects of regional trade policy," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/238242, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Filip Abraham & Jan Van Hove, 2005. "The Rise of China: Prospects of Regional Trade Policy," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0506, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 1999.
"Exports, Inflation and Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1031-1057, June.
- International Monetary Fund, 1992. "Regional Trade Arrangements," IMF Occasional Papers 93, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas L. Vollrath & Charles B. Hallahan & Mark J. Gehlhar, 2006. "Consumer Demand and Cost Factors Shape the Global Trade Network in Commodity and Manufactured Foods," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(4), pages 497-511, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.