Estimation of Parametric and Nonparametric Models for Univariate Claim Severity Distributions - an approach using R
AbstractThis paper presents an analysis of motor vehicle insurance claims relating to vehicle damage and to associated medical expenses. We use univariate severity distributions estimated with parametric and non-parametric methods. The methods are implemented using the statistical package R. Parametric analysis is limited to estimation of normal and lognormal distributions for each of the two claim types. The nonparametric analysis presented involves kernel density estimation. We illustrate the benefits of applying transformations to data prior to employing kernel based methods. We use a log-transformation and an optimal transformation amongst a class of transformations that produces symmetry in the data. The central aim of this paper is to provide educators with material that can be used in the classroom to teach statistical estimation methods, goodness of fit analysis and importantly statistical computing in the context of insurance and risk management. To this end, we have included in the Appendix of this paper all the R code that has been used in the analysis so that readers, both students and educators, can fully explore the techniques described.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP) in its series Working Papers with number XREAP2011-06.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision: Jun 2011
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de Ciències Econòmiques i Empresarials, Universitat de Barcelona, c/ Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, 1-11, 08034 Barcelona
Web page: http://www.pcb.ub.edu/xreap
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bolancé, Catalina & Guillén, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2008. "Inverse beta transformation in kernel density estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(13), pages 1757-1764, September.
- Vernic, Raluca, 2006. "Multivariate skew-normal distributions with applications in insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 413-426, April.
- Hall, Peter & Marron, J. S., 1987. "Estimation of integrated squared density derivatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 109-115, November.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Pelican, Elena & Vernic, Raluca, 2008. "Skewed bivariate models and nonparametric estimation for the CTE risk measure," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 386-393, December.
- Clements A. & Hurn S. & Lindsay K., 2003. "Mobius-Like Mappings and Their Use in Kernel Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 993-1000, January.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2003.
"Kernel density estimation of actuarial loss functions,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 19-36, February.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Perch Nielsen, Jens, 2000. "Kernel Density Estimation of Actuarial Loss Functions," Finance Working Papers 00-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Zhang, Xibin & King, Maxwell L. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3009-3031, July.
- Wu, Tiee-Jian & Chen, Ching-Fu & Chen, Huang-Yu, 2007. "A variable bandwidth selector in multivariate kernel density estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(4), pages 462-467, February.
- Qing Liu & David Pitt & Xibin Zhang & Xueyuan Wu, 2010. "A Bayesian approach to parameter estimation for kernel density estimation via transformations," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 18/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Chernih, Andrew, 2003. "Wang's capital allocation formula for elliptically contoured distributions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 517-532, December.
- Eling, Martin, 2012. "Fitting insurance claims to skewed distributions: Are the skew-normal and skew-student good models?," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 239-248.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.