The Impact of Inflation on Income Tax and Social Insurance Contributions in Europe
AbstractInflation can alter the characteristics of tax- and contribution systems in numerous ways. This paper demonstrates how inflation alters the distributive properties of nominally defined tax systems and looks at the impact of the tax revenues and social insurance contribution receipts generated. It provides quantitative estimates for Germany, The Netherlands and the UK, using a preliminary version of EUROMOD, a European tax-benefit microsimulation model. The integrated framework provided by the model permits the use of common income concepts across countries and therefore enables one to make informative comparisons of the distributive consequences of the inflation induced erosion of tax- band limits, thresholds, deductions, tax credits, etc. The paper also tests the performance of automatic indexing regimes used in two of the countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Public Economics with number 0302004.
Date of creation: 07 Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - ; figures: included. EUROMOD web-site:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Inflation; Income Tax; Social Insurance Contributions; European Union; Microsimulation;
Other versions of this item:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2003-02-10 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2003-02-10 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PKE-2003-02-10 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amalio Humberto Petrei, 1975. "Inflation Adjustment Schemes under the Personal Income Tax (MÃ©thodes d'ajustement de l'impÃ´t sur le revenu des personnes physiques pour tenir compte de l'inflation) (Sistemas de ajuste del impue," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 539-564, July.
- repec:ese:emodwp:em0-99 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aaron, Henry J, 1976. "Inflation and the Income Tax," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 193-99, May.
- repec:ese:emodwp:em9-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- João Sousa Andrade & António Portugal Duarte, 2011. "The Portuguese Public Finances and the Spanish Horse," GEMF Working Papers 2011-21, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- repec:ese:emodwp:em3-02 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ese:emodwp:em1-06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Immervoll, H., 2000. "Fiscal Drag - An Automatic Stabiliser?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0025, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kai Liu, 2014. "Public Finances, Business Cycles and Structural Fiscal Balances," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1411, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Callan, Tim & Keeney, Mary J. & Nolan, Brian & Walsh, John R., 2001. "Reforming Tax and Welfare," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS42.
- Beier, David, 2009. "Regionale Effekte der Einkommensteuerreform," Forschungs- und Sitzungsberichte der ARL: Aufsätze, in: Öffentliche Finanzströme und räumliche Entwicklung, pages 49-74 Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.