Environmental Decision Models With Joint Outputs
AbstractThis paper critiques a recent attempt to model pollution prevention using data envelopment analysis (DEA). We contribute an alternative model which explicitly models joint provision of desirable and undesirable outputs (a la Shephard and Fare (1974)), using weak disposability of output. We also extend earlier work by Fare, Grosskopf, Lovell and Pasurka (1989) and Fare, Grosskopf and Pasurka (1986, 1989) to allow for expansion of desirable outputs and contraction of undesirable outputs at different rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 9502002.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 27 Feb 1995
Date of revision:
Note: 13 pages; body is a binary WordPerfect 5.1 document. Each of 2 figures is in binary Word-for-Windows 6.0 and PostScript formats; the four files were FTPed in one PKZIP (2.04g) file. JEL classification: Q2
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
renewable resources conservation environmental management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- Z - Other Special Topics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Pasurka, C., 1986. "Effects on relative efficiency in electric power generation due to environmental controls," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 167-184, June.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Triantis, Konstantinos & Otis, Paul, 2004. "Dominance-based measurement of productive and environmental performance for manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 447-464, April.
- Ferjani, Ali, 2005. "Does Switzerland Have a Productivity Problem?," Agrarwirtschaft und Agrarsoziologie/ Economie et Sociologie Rurales, Swiss Society for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, issue 1.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.