Efficiency, subsidies and environmental adaptation of animal farming under CAP
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to model the interaction between the targets of the current CAP: environmental adaptation, subsidies and efficiency the of animal farming. To this end we first have to identify the production frontier and relative efficiency level for each animal oriented type of farm in the sample. The production frontier and efficiency index for each type of farm (assuming no specific production functions) are identified using DEA techniques. We then address the relationship between relative efficiency, farm size and environmentally friendly behavior realizing a non parametric regression of efficiency on economic size, a proxy for the degree of environmental appropriateness, and regional dummies. Calculations of the efficiency of the farms including direct subsidies, are compared with the counterfactual exercise in the case where direct subsidies are not considered. Finally, we look for relations between subsidies and factors such as farm size, efficiency and environmentally friendly behavior. One key result shows that on average absolute direct payments generally tend to increase efficiency. However, in most of the cases the mean efficiency decreases as the percentage of direct payments rises. Direct payments are found to be positively related to environmentally friendly production, at least in Germany. However, in general, the direct payment system is not sufficient to offset the fact that the less environmentally friendly farms as well as the larger ones are more efficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0512015.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 23 Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 33. Tables, Graphs.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Efficiency; subsidies; DEA; non-parametric regression; ecological farming; natural resources; agricultural productivity.;
Other versions of this item:
- Werner Kleinhan� & Carmen Murillo & Carlos San Juan & Stefan Sperlich, 2007. "Efficiency, subsidies, and environmental adaptation of animal farming under CAP," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 49-65, 01.
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- Z - Other Special Topics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-01-01 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2006-01-01 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias, 2003. "Diseconomies of Size with Fixed Managerial Ability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 134-142.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- Henningsen, Arne & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2011.
"Econometric Analysis of the Effects of Subsidies on Farm Production in Case of Endogenous Input Quantities,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114548, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Henningsen, Arne & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2009. "Econometric Analysis of the Effects of Subsidies on Farm Production in Case of Endogenous Input Quantities," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49728, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre & Fogarasi, Jozsef & Latruffe, Laure & Desjeux, Yann & Matveev, Eduard & Marongiu, Sonia & Dolman, Mark & Soboh, Rafat, 2011. "EU farms’ technical efficiency and productivity change in 1990 – 2006," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108773, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Musshoff, Oliver & Hirschauer, Norbert & Herink, Michael, 2009. "Bei welchen Problemstrukturen sind Data-Envelopment-Analysen sinnvoll? Eine kritische WÃ¼rdigung," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(2).
- Emvalomatis, Grigorios & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2008. "An Examination of the Relationship Between Subsidies on Production and Technical Efficiency in Agriculture: The Case of Cotton Producers in Greece," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6673, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Carmen Murillo & Carlos San Juan Santander & Stefan Sperlich, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of the EU Agricultural Policy Based on Firm Level Data," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 227(3), pages 273-294, June.
- Latruffe, Laure & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Moreira, Victor H. & Desjeux, Yann & Dupraz, Pierre, 2012. "Productivity and Subsidies in the European Union: An Analysis for Dairy Farms Using Input Distance Frontiers," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126846, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zhu, Xueqin & Demeter, Robert Milan & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2008. "Competitiveness of dairy farms in three countries: the role of CAP subsidies," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44143, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latruffe, Laure & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Moreira, Victor H. & Desjeux, Yann & Dupraz, Pierre, 2011. "Productivity and Subsidies in European Union Countries: An Analysis for Dairy Farms Using Input Distance Frontiers," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114396, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Trnkova, Gabriela & Mala, Zdenka & Vasilenko, Alexandr, 2012. "Analysis of the Effects of Subsidies on the Economic Behavior of Agricultural Businesses Focusing on Animal Production," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 4(4), December.
- Skevas, Theodoros & Lansink, Alfons Oude & Stefanou, Spiro E., 2012. "Measuring technical efficiency in the presence of pesticide spillovers and production uncertainty: The case of Dutch arable farms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(2), pages 550-559.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre & Latruffe, Laure & Desjeux, Yann & Soboh, Rafat & Dolman, Mark, 2011. "Comparative Analysis of Technical Efficiency in European Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114235, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rezitis, Anthony N. & Stavropoulos, Konstantinos S., 2010. "Modeling beef supply response and price volatility under CAP reforms: The case of Greece," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 163-174, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.