Banking in transition
AbstractThe bank as "general store" is slowly being replaced by the bank as conglomerate. This is because improvements in information technology and market efficiency are changing the way the activities of financial intermediaries are performed. The imperatives of cost minimization and competition have dictated that activities that were once performed together in one physical place by a few people are now performed separately by specialists. It is natural in this environment for entrepreneurs to form conglomerates of these various business units in order to fulfill the role once played by the bank as general store. The question is just how many will be absorbed as branches or affiliates of large organizations. George French's work addresses two questions: What are the reasons for banks' declining market share, and are further declines inevitable?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 9906005.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: 15 Jun 1999
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 43; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-06-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-1999-06-23 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-1999-06-23 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F., 1986. "Term premiums and default premiums in money markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 175-196, September.
- Kenneth M. Wright, 1991. "The structure, conduct, and regulation of the life insurance industry," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 35, pages 73-116.
- Edwards, F.R., 1993. "Financial Markets in Transition -- or the Decline of Commercial Banking," Papers 93-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Franklin R. Edwards, 1993. "Financial markets in transition; or, the decline of commercial banking," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 5-69.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.