Variable rate liquidity tenders
AbstractThis paper constructs an equilibrium model for the short-term money market, when the central bank provides liquidity via variable rate tenders. The relation between market rate of interest and liquidity is derived from a single bank’s profit maximisation problem in the interbank market, and the CB determines its liquidity provision by minimising a quadratic loss function that contains both deviations of expected market rate from CB target rate and differences between liquidity supply and target liquidity. We model equilibrium bid behaviour in the tenders and explain the underbidding phenomenon resulting from the minimum bid rate. We also show that, when maturities of consecutive operations overlap, the expected market interest rate will rise above the CB’s target whenever a target rate change (hike or cut) is expected to occur in the same reserve maintenance period. Finally, we review the data from the ECB variable rate tenders and find that the ECB has been fairly liquidity oriented in its allotment decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0405010.
Date of creation: 12 May 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
money market tenders; liquidity policy; bidding; central bank operational framework;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2004-05-26 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2004-05-26 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MON-2004-05-16 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Prati & Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola, 2001.
"The overnight interbank market: evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone,"
135, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Prati, Alessandro & Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe, 2003. "The overnight interbank market: Evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2045-2083, October.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002. "The Overnight Interbank Market: Evidence from the G7 and the Euro Zone," CEPR Discussion Papers 3090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Välimäki, Tuomas, 2001. "Fixed rate tenders and the overnight money market equilibrium," Research Discussion Papers 8/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Ayuso, J. & Repullo, R., 2000.
"A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank,"
0011, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2003. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 883-902, October.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0016, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ayuso, Juan & Repullo, Rafael, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2004.
"Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4367, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9878h0kn, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A. & Bindseil, Ulrich, 2002. "Bidding and performance in repo auctions: evidence from ECB open market operations," Working Paper Series 0157, European Central Bank.
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ulrich Bindseil & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Working Papers 2005.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Discussion Papers 2005/13, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Bindseil, Ulrich, 2002. "Equilibrium bidding in the Eurosystem's open market operations," Working Paper Series 0137, European Central Bank.
- Back, Kerry & Zender, Jaime F, 1993. "Auctions of Divisible Goods: On the Rationale for the Treasury Experiment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(4), pages 733-64.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.