Determinants of Australian mothers' employment: An analysis of lone and couple mothers
AbstractWhile the lower rates of employment of lone mothers as compared with couple mothers has been well documented, the reasons for the employment gap are less well understood. This paper uses data from the 1996 Australian Census to analyse the factors which explain the employment gap.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Labor and Demography with number 0405005.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 14 May 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 26
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Other versions of this item:
- Matthew Gray & Lixia Qu, 2003. "Determinants of Australian Mothers’ Employment: An Analysis of Lone and Couple Mothers," Australian Journal of Labour Economics (AJLE), Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School, vol. 6(4), pages 597-617, December.
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anh T. Le & Paul W. Miller, 2000. "An Evaluation of Inertia Models of Unemployment," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 33(3), pages 205-220.
- Hersch, Joni & Stratton, Leslie S, 1994. "Housework, Wages, and the Division of Housework Time for Employed Spouses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 120-25, May.
- Russell Ross & Peter Saunders, 1990. "The Labour Supply Behaviour of Single Mothers and Married Mothers in Australia," Discussion Papers 0019, University of New South Wales, Social Policy Research Centre.
- Harris, Mark N, 1996. "Modelling the Probability of Youth Unemployment in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(217), pages 118-29, June.
- Wamuthenya, W.R., 2010. "Economic crisis and women’s employment rate in a Sub-Saharan African country: explaining the rise in women’s employment rate in the urban areas of Kenya," ISS Working Papers - General Series 500, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Matthew Gray & Lixia Qu & Jennifer Renda & David de Vaus, 2004. "Changes in the labour force status of lone and couple Australian mothers, 1983-2002," Labor and Demography 0405004, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.