Travel Hysteresis in the Brazilian Current Account
AbstractThe strong Brazilian currency between 1994 and 1998 led Brazilians to an unprecedented increase in their travels abroad. Even after the 1999 currency crisis, travel patterns did not recover to their pre-exchange rate devaluation levels. The occasional exchange rate valuation has left long-lasting effects by changing habits, and thereby generating a travel hysteresis in the Brazilian current account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0509007.
Date of creation: 19 Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Other versions of this item:
- Sergio Da Silva & Guilherme Moura & Roberto Meurer, 2005. "Travel hysteresis in the Brazilian current account," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(24), pages 1-17.
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-54, November.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard, 1988.
"Hyteresis in Import Prices: The Beachhead Effect,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 773-85, September.
- Roberts, Mark A. & McCausland, W. David, 1999. "Multiple international debt equilibria and irreversibility," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 179-188, April.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989. "Hysteresis, Import Penetration, and Exchange Rate Pass-Through," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 205-28, May.
- McCausland, W David, 2002. "Exchange Rate Hysteresis: The Effects of Overshooting and Short-Termism," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(240), pages 60-67, March.
- Roberto Meurer & Guilherme Moura & Sergio Da Silva, 2005.
"Travel Hysteresis in the US Current Account After the Mid-1980s,"
- Sergio Da Silva & Guilherme Moura & Roberto Meurer, 2005. "Travel hysteresis in the US current account after the mid-1980s," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 14(2), pages 1-10.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.