MERCOSUR-EU trade: The impact of adverse macroeconomic developments and trade barriers on MERCOSUR exports
AbstractThis article examines sectoral MERCOSUR exports to the EU in the period of 1988 to 1996. A sectoral study is considered indispensable since tariff and non-tariff trade barriers vary strongly among sectors. The empirical investigation is based on both a dynamic panel analysis and a rather qualitative evaluation of the extent of tariff and non-tariff barriers imposed by the EU. The ex-post analysis for the period of 1988 to 1996 revealed three things: First, a more competitive real exchange rate could contribute to a better MERCOSUR export performance. Second, EU protection has had in general a very negative impact on MERCOSUR export growth rates. Third, EU protection strongly affected MERCOSUR's largest export sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0310002.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 07 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; pages: 26 ; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Sectoral MERCOSUR-EU trade; dynamic panel analysis; impact of tariff and non-tariff trade barriers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-10-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2003-10-12 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2003-10-12 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2003-10-12 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Michael Finger & Julio J. Nogués, 2005.
"The Unbalanced Uruguay Round Outcome: The New Areas in Future WTO Negotiations,"
- J. Michael Finger & Julio J. Nogués, 2002. "The Unbalanced Uruguay Round Outcome: The New Areas in Future WTO Negotiations," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 321-340, 03.
- Finger, J. Michael & Nogues, Julio J., 2001. "The unbalanced Ururguay Round outcome : the new areas in future WTO negotiations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2732, The World Bank.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2003. "Explaining MERCOSUR sectoral exports to the EU: The role of economic and geographical distance," International Trade 0309025, EconWPA.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Diao, Xinshen & Somwaru, Agapi, 2000. "An Inquiry on General Equilibrium Effects of MERCOSUR--An Intertemporal World Model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 557-588, September.
- Yeats, Alexander J, 1998. "Does Mercosur's Trade Performance Raise Concerns about the Effects of Regional Trade Arrangements?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 1-28, January.
- J. Michael Finger, 2001. "Implementing the Uruguay Round Agreements: Problems for Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(9), pages 1097-1108, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.