Growth challenges for the business services industry - international comparison and policy issues
AbstractThis report summarises the findings of a study on the growth factors and growth prospects of the business services (BS)industry, applying an internationally comparative perspective. The report untangles factors behind the extraordinary growth of the BS industry during last decade,comparing it with other market industries.It analyses how the growth pattern is affected by product differentiation and the structure of competition.The study analyses the role of business services in inter-industry relations and in national innovation systems. The study also analyses the factors behind this industry's poor productivity growth. A scenario analysis is applied to sketch future growth patterns of business services industry up to 2010. The report finally identifies future-oriented policy issues,after identifying the dominant market failure problems with regard to the BS industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0309003.
Length: 178 pages
Date of creation: 21 Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - adobe PDF; pages: 178 ; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
business services; productivity growth; innovation; market structure; policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2003-09-28 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HIS-2003-09-28 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.