Real Exchange-Rate Behaviour under Fixed and Floating Exchange Rate Regimes
AbstractIn this paper we examine the stability of the real exchange rate and the macroeconomic effects of alternative exchange-rate regimes, including currency union, on real exchange-rate behaviour. We focus on the Irish punt in order to exploit its diversity of experience over different nominal exchange rate regimes. We make both temporal and cross-country comparisons of real-exchange-rate stability for the Irish punt with sterling, the US dollar and the German mark. We reach two conclusions on the basis of our results. The first is that for Ireland, as for most other countries, purchasing power parity provides a reasonably good description of actual exchange rate behaviour over the long run. Our second principal conclusion concerns regime effects. Currency union appears to matter. The real exchange rates we analyse are unambiguously less variable under currency union than under alternative exchange-rate systems. Otherwise, however, we find no clear-cut differences in behaviour across regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0107002.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 19 Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Word; prepared on PC; to print on HP Deskjet 950C; pages: 25; figures: included . This draft November 2000, first draft December 1998 Forthcoming in the Manchester School
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Real Exchange Rate Behaviour Fixed Floating Exchange Rate Regimes;
Other versions of this item:
- Lothian, James R & McCarthy, Cornelia H, 2002. "Real Exchange Rate Behaviour Under Fixed and Floating Exchange Rate Regimes," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(2), pages 229-45, March.
- F - International Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-07-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2001-07-23 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2001-07-23 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994.
"How Wide is the Border?,"
NBER Working Papers
4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- John FitzGerald & Fergal Shortall, 1998. "Exchange Rate Changes and the Transmission of Inflation," Papers WP096, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Lothian, James R., 1998. "Some new stylized facts of floating exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 29-39, February.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Michael Kim & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The Law of One Price Over 700 Years,"
NBER Working Papers
5132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Kenneth Froot & Michael Kim, 2001. "The Law of One Price Over 700 Years," IMF Working Papers 01/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Kim, Michael & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "The Law of One Price Over 700 Years," Working Papers 95-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Hali J. Edison & Joseph E. Gagnon & William R. Melick, 1994.
"Understanding the empirical literature on purchasing power parity: the post-Bretton Woods era,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
465, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edison, Hali J. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Melick, William R., 1997. "Understanding the empirical literature on purchasing power parity: the post-Bretton Woods era," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Diebold, Francis X & Husted, Steven & Rush, Mark, 1991.
"Real Exchange Rates under the Gold Standard,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1252-71, December.
- Francis X. Diebold & Steven Husted & Mark Rush, 1990. "Real exchange rates under the gold standard," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 32, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- Lothian, James R. & Taylor, Mark P., 2000. "Purchasing power parity over two centuries: strengthening the case for real exchange rate stability: A reply to Cuddington and Liang," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 759-764, October.
- Thom, Rodney, 1989. "Real exchange rates, co-integration and purchasing power parity : Irish experience in the EMS," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/701, University College Dublin.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- Lothian, James R., 1990. "A century plus of Yen exchange rate behavior," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 47-70, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, 2002.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(1), pages 5.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 2913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yamin Ahmad & William Craighead, 2010.
"Temporal Aggregation and Purchasing Power Parity Persistence,"
10-01, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2011.
- Ahmad, Yamin & Craighead, William D., 2011. "Temporal aggregation and purchasing power parity persistence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 817-830, September.
- Yamin Ahmad & William D. Craighead, 2011. "Temporal Aggregation and Purchasing Power Parity Persistence," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2011-001, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Metodij Hadzi-Vaskov & Clemens J.M. Kool, 2008. "Stochastic Discount Factor Approach to International Risk-Sharing: Evidence from Fixed Exchange Rate Episodes," Working Papers 07-33, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Calderon, Cesar & Kubota, Megumi, 2009. "Does higher openness cause more real exchange rate volatility ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4896, The World Bank.
- James Lothian, 2000. "Comment on Schwartz," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 347-352, December.
- Yougbaré, Lassana, 2011. "Exchange rate arrangements and misalignments: contrasting words and deeds," MPRA Paper 32362, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Don Bredin & John Cotter, 2008.
"Volatility And Irish Exports,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 540-560, October.
- Salah A. Nusair, 2006. "Real Interest Rate Parity: Evidence from Industrialized Countries," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 7(2), pages 425-457, November.
- Sofiane H. Sekioua, 2004. "Real interest parity (RIP) over the 20th century: New evidence based on confidence intervals for the dominant root and half-lives of shocks," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 91, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- James R. Lothian & Cornelia H. McCarthy, 2003. "Currency Union and Real Exchange Rate Behavior," International Finance 0311008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.