On the Allocative Efficiency of Competitive Prices in Economies with Incomplete Markets
AbstractA new measure of constrained efficiency for application in economies with incomplete markets is presented. This measure --- termed Allais- Malinvaud efficiency --- can be viewed as adjusting for market incompleteness not fully captured in previous work. It is shown that equilibrium allocations in Radner-GEI economies are always Allais- Malinvaud efficient. In particular, a re-distribution of assets in equilibrium cannot induce a relative price change that leads to an Allais-Malinvaud improvement. Moreover, this result extends to Radner- GEI economies in which consumer liability is limited by bankruptcy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series GE, Growth, Math methods with number 0410006.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 05 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 38
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Allocative Efficieny; Incomplete Markets; Allais-Malinvaud Efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-21 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffie, Darrell & Shafer, Wayne, 1986. "Equilibrium in incomplete markets: II : Generic existence in stochastic economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 199-216, June.
- Sabarwal Tarun, 2007.
"Value Maximization as an Ex-Post Consistent Firm Objective When Markets are Incomplete,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Tarun Sabarwal, 2004. "Value Maximization As An Ex Post Consistent Firm Objective When Markets are Incomplete," GE, Growth, Math methods 0406002, EconWPA, revised 19 Jul 2004.
- Tarun Sabarwal, 2004. "A Consistent Firm Objective When Markets are Incomplete: Profit Maximization," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 141, Econometric Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.