Portfolio Management for a Random Field of Bond Returns
AbstractA new method of bond portfolio optimization is described. The method is based on stochastic string models of bond returns. It is shown how to approximate the bond return correlation function with Padé approximations and how to compute the optimal portfolio allocation using Wiener-Hopf factorization. The technique is illustrated with an example of the Treasury bond portfolio.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0310007.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 07 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; pages: 13 ; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
bond portfolio management; stochastic string; Toeplitz operators; Padé approximations; Wiener-Hopf factorization.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-10-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-10-12 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2003-10-12 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2003-10-12 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2003-10-12 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zenios, Stavros A. & Holmer, Martin R. & McKendall, Raymond & Vassiadou-Zeniou, Christiana, 1998. "Dynamic models for fixed-income portfolio management under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 1517-1541, August.
- Golub, Bennett & Holmer, Martin & McKendall, Raymond & Pohlman, Lawrence & Zenios, Stavros A., 1995. "A stochastic programming model for money management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 282-296, September.
- D. P. Kennedy, 1994. "The Term Structure Of Interest Rates As A Gaussian Random Field," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 247-258.
- Dupacova, Jitka & Bertocchi, Marida, 2001. "From data to model and back to data: A bond portfolio management problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 261-278, October.
- Heaney, W John & Cheng, Pao L, 1984. " Continuous Maturity Diversification of Default-Free Bond Portfolios and a Generalization of Efficient Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1101-17, September.
- D. P. Kennedy, 1997. "Characterizing Gaussian Models of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 107-118.
- Santa-Clara, Pedro & Sornette, Didier, 2001. "The Dynamics of the Forward Interest Rate Curve with Stochastic String Shocks," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 149-85.
- Andrea Beltratti & Andrea Consiglio & Stavros A. Zenios, 1998. "Scenario Modeling for the Management of International Bond Portfolios," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-20, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Goldstein, Robert S, 2000. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates as a Random Field," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 365-84.
- John M. Mulvey & Stavros A. Zenios, 1994. "Capturing the Correlations of Fixed-income Instruments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(10), pages 1329-1342, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.