A Statistical Analysis of Intraday Liquidity, Returns and Volatility of an Individual Stock from the Istanbul Stock Exchange
AbstractThis paper seeks whether the intraday patterns observed in most stock markets hold for an individual stock from the Istanbul Stock Exchange where the trading ceases for two hours during lunchtime. It investigates the most treated topics in market finance like liquidity, returns and volatility through their various indicators by periodically regrouping transaction data and making use of parametric and nonparametric tests. It excludes the analysis of spread due to its uninformativeness in the presence of very discrete prices. The results show that liquidity- related variables' path can be described by an asymmetric 'W'curve, namely an 'inverse J' curve in the morning session and a 'U' curve in the afternoon session. While returns do not exhibit a precise path, overnight returns are apparent. Price and return volatilities are very high in level and stable during the day. Sensitivity analysis suggests that choice of 5-minute versus 15-minute intervals slightly matters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0305006.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 28 May 2003
Date of revision: 20 May 2004
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on Brother HL-1030; pages: 37. Comments welcome. Please, do not quote without permission.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
microstructure liquidity returns volatility Istanbul Stock Exchange;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-06-04 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-06-04 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Abhyankar & D. Ghosh & E. Levin & R.J. Limmack, 1997.
"Bid-ask Spreads, Trading Volume and Volatility: Intra-day Evidence from the London Stock Exchange,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 343-362.
- A Abhyankar & D Ghosh & E Levin & R J Limmack, 1995. "Bid-Ask Spreads, Trading Volume and Volatility: Intraday Evidence from the London Stock Exchange," Working Papers Series 95/11, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Capelle-Blancard, G. & Vandelanoite, S., 2000.
"Relations intrajournalieres entre l'indice CAC 40 et les options sur indice. Quel est le marche prefere des investisseurs informes ?,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
2000.110, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Gunther CAPELLE-BLANCARD & Séverine VANDELANOITE, 2002. "Relations intrajournalières entre l’indice CAC 40 et les options sur indice : Quel est le marché préféré des investisseurs informés ?," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 66, pages 143-177.
- Bildik, Recep, 2001. "Intra-day seasonalities on stock returns: evidence from the Turkish Stock Market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 387-417, December.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cheung, Yan-Leung, 1999. "The intraday patterns of the spread and depth in a market without market makers: The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 539-556, December.
- Biais, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & Spatt, Chester, 1995. " An Empirical Analysis of the Limit Order Book and the Order Flow in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1655-89, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.