Actuarial versus Financial Pricing of Insurance
AbstractThis paper grew out of various recent discussions with academics and practitioners around the theme of the interplay between insurance and finance. Some issues were: The increasing collaboration between insurance companies and banks The emergence of finance related insurance products, as there are catastrophy futures and options, PCS options, indexed linked policies... The deregulation of various (national) insurance markets The discussion around risk management methodology for financial institutions The evolution from a more liability modelling oriented industry (insurance) to a more global financial industry involving asset-liability and risk-capital based modelling The emergence of financial engineering as a new profession, its interplay with actuarial training and research. Rather than aiming at giving a complete overview of the issue at hand, the author concentrates on some recent (and not so recent) developments which from a methodological point of view offer new insight into the comparison of pricing mechanisms between insurance and finance. The author views this paper very much as work in progress. This paper was presented at the Financial Institutions Center's May 1996 conference on "
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania in its series Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers with number 96-17.
Date of creation: May 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996. "The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- Sondermann, Dieter, 1991. "Reinsurance in arbitrage-free markets," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 191-202, December.
- Varian, Hal R, 1987. "The Arbitrage Principle in Financial Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 55-72, Fall.
- Delbaen, F. & Haezendonck, J., 1989. "A martingale approach to premium calculation principles in an arbitrage free market," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 269-277, December.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996. "The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Knut Aase, 1999. "An Equilibrium Model of Catastrophe Insurance Futures and Spreads," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 69-96, June.
- Debreu,Gerard Introduction by-Name:Hildenbrand,Werner, 1986. "Mathematical Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521335614, October.
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2001. "Optimal reinsurance under mean-variance premium principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 61-67, February.
- Choo, Weihao & de Jong, Piet, 2009. "Loss reserving using loss aversion functions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 271-277, October.
- Enrico De Giorgi, 2005.
"Evolutionary Portfolio Selection with Liquidity Shocks,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
15, Society for Computational Economics.
- De Giorgi, Enrico, 2008. "Evolutionary portfolio selection with liquidity shocks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1088-1119, April.
- Enrico De Giorgi, . "Evolutionary Portfolio Selection with Liquidity Shocks," IEW - Working Papers 185, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Frey, Rüdiger, 1997. "Derivative Asset Analysis in Models with Level-Dependent and Stochastic Volatility," Discussion Paper Serie B 401, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.