Creative Class as a Determinant of Economic Development - Empirical Considerations for Northrhine-Westphalian Regions based on Time-Series Analysis
AbstractSince some years Richard Floridaâ€™s ideas on the creative class have attracted a great deal of theoretical and empirical attention. One part of his theory says that the â€œcreative classâ€ â€“ people with highly creative and innovative abilities â€“ are the driving force of regional economic development. The proposed paper empirically deals with this relationship; it describes some empirical research done for the regions (NUTS 3) of Northrhine-Westphalia which is a federal state of Germany. The regional distribution of creative people in Northrhine-Westphalia is described in the first chapter. The second chapter analyzes the relationship between the creative class and regional economic development. But unlike most other empirical research on that topic time series data for the period between 1999 and 2008 is used as a starting point. The time series analysis is completed by some additional cross-section regressions. The often mentioned criticism on Floridaâ€™s theory is accounted for by considering educational (i.e. human capital) versus occupational (i.e. the creative class) data for these regressions. The empirical results suggest that Floridaâ€™s thesis only holds true for a part of the Northrhine-Westphalian regions but not for the other part. Therefore cluster analysis is used to find out whether there are other conditions to be fulfilled by a region that a â€œcreative-class-effectâ€ on regional economic development arises. The main results of this cluster analysis will be presented in the third chapter. The paper ends with a summary and some concluding remarks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa11p828.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B & Dohse, Dirk & Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2008.
"Cultural Diversity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis for Germany,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
6945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Audretsch & Dirk Dohse & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2010. "Cultural diversity and entrepreneurship: a regional analysis for Germany," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 55-85, August.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2006.
"Prognosen der regionalen Konjunkturentwicklung,"
DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(34), pages 469-474.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2007. "Prognosen der regionalen Konjunkturentwicklung," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 76(4), pages 47-55.
- Fritsch, Michael & Stützer, Michael, 2006.
"Die Geografie der Kreativen Klasse in Deutschland,"
Freiberg Working Papers, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
2006,11, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Fritsch, Michael & Stuetzer, Michael, 2007.
"Die Geographie der Kreativen Klasse in Deutschland
[The Geography of the Creative Class in Germany]," MPRA Paper 21963, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fritsch, Michael & Stuetzer, Michael, 2007. "Die Geographie der Kreativen Klasse in Deutschland
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.