Structural Changes in Estonian Manufacturing and Regional Development
AbstractIn the transition to a market economy the countries of Eastern Europe underwent a significant structural changes. There is a plenty of literature on the structural changes in industry in transition countries. Some works on industrial restructuring have appeared in Estonia as well. By now the time series of data on this field are long enough to conduct this kind of analysis in a more systematic and formal way. The aim of this work is an analysis of the structural changes in the Estonian manufacturing in transition and it relation with regional development. The changes in manufacturing output structure is analyzed by the NACE classification broad sectors. Changes in values and real output are considered. The development of relative prices, industrial employment and labor productivity are also examined. A set of indices are calculated to study regional manufacturing dynamics. After that econometric analysis of relation between industrial restructuring and the regional development is considered. The paper ends with the conclusions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa06p559.
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Augasse 2-6, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2007-01-14 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TRA-2007-01-14 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Localization Economies, Vertical Organization, and Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1266-78, December.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1994. "Localization Economies, Vertical Organization and Trade," NBER Working Papers 4744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Repkine, Alexandre & Walsh, Patrick Paul, 1999. "Evidence of European Trade and Investment U-Shaping Industrial Output in Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, and Romania," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 730-752, December.
- Amiti, Mary, 1998. "New Trade Theories and Industrial Location in the EU: A Survey of Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 45-53, Summer.
- Berg Andrew, 1994. "Does Macroeconomic Reform Cause Structural Adjustment? Lessons from Poland," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 376-409, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.