Urban Sprawl. How Useful Is This Concept?
AbstractThis paper discusses the question whether the city of Vienna, Austria, is experiencing urban sprawl. We will critically evaluate the concept of urban sprawl and analyze its relationship to regular forms of urban development. Particular emphasis will be given to quantitative measures of urban change that might be able to identify key factors of urban sprawl. These measures are then applied to empirical data for the city of Vienna, Austria
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa06p105.
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2007-01-13 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2007-01-13 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longley, Paul & Batty, Michael & Chin, Nancy, 2002. "Sprawling cities and transport: preliminary findings from Bristol, UK," ERSA conference papers ersa02p137, European Regional Science Association.
- Chiara M. Travisi & Roberto Camagni, 2005. "Sustainability of Urban Sprawl: Environmental-Economic Indicators for the Analysis of Mobility Impact in Italy," Working Papers 2005.102, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Peter Mieszkowski & Edwin S. Mills, 1993. "The Causes of Metropolitan Suburbanization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 135-147, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.