Sustainability of economic development and governance patterns in water management - an overview on the reorganisation of public utilities in Campania, Italy, under EU Framework Directive in the field of water policy (2000/60/CE)
AbstractThe paper addresses the issue of sustainable development in water policy under the EU Framework Directive (2000/60/CE), and its implications on the governance of public utilities. Economic efficiency and environmental protection, far from being contradictory, are necessarily complementary in order to achieve the EU Water Framework Directive principles and objectives. Assuming public utilities as “environmental services”, the first part focuses on the theory of economic regulation for public utilities and innovative models of public/private governance for water management. In the second part, following the steps undertaken in Campania (since the first national reform in 1994), the paper tries to identify the main trends in water policies and management, resulting from the local governement efforts to comply with both environmental protection requirements under the EU Framework Directive and economic development programmes. The field of analysis is EU Structural Funds policy, as implemented by the Regional Operational Programme of Campania 2000-2006, which supports private and public investments in water infrastructures and management. According to the European regional policy, environmental protection requirements must be integrated into the definition and implementation of development programmes aimed at financing water infrastructures and innovative management of water services. The mid-term review on the performance of Structural Funds in Campania, shows that public/private partnership plays a crucial role in water policy, even for the integration of environmental concerns into the reorganisation of public utilities management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa05p605.
Date of creation: Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1999. "The Mechanisms of Governance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195132601.
- Immacolata Caruso & Tiziana Vitolo & Livia Cocchis, 2003. "The innovative role of public utilities: a strategy for local development," ERSA conference papers ersa03p316, European Regional Science Association.
- David M. Newbery, 2002. "Privatization, Restructuring, and Regulation of Network Utilities," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262640481, December.
- Immacolata Caruso & Tiziana Vitolo, 2003. "Governance through ?public utilities? models: a regional social interaction approach," ERSA conference papers ersa03p376, European Regional Science Association.
- Giuseppe Bognetti, 1999. "Nuove forme di gestione dei servizi pubblici," Departmental Working Papers 1999-04, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.