Youth Employment In Africa: New Evidence And Policies From Swaziland
AbstractDrawing on the 2007 and 2010 Swaziland Labor Force Surveys, this paper provides first systematic evidence on recent youth employment challenges in Swaziland, a small, land-locked, middle-income country with one of the highest youth unemployment rates in Africa. The paper first documents the various labor market disadvantages faced by the Swazi youth, such as high unemployment and discouragement, and how they changed from 2007 to 2010. A multinomial logit regression analysis is then carried out to analyze the socio-economic drivers of the unfavorable youth labor market outcomes on the supply side. Since many of the factors that can unlock the employment potential of the Swazi youth are on the demand side of the labor market, the paper examines the barriers to job creation and youth entrepreneurship. It concludes with experiences of other countries that could inform design of more effective interventions for youth employment in Swaziland.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan in its series William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series with number wp1052.
Date of creation: 15 Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763 5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
youth employment and entrepreneurship; multivariate analysis; policies; Africa;
Other versions of this item:
- Zuzana Brixiova & Thierry Kangoye, 2014. "Youth Unemployment in Africa: New Evidence and Policies from Swaziland," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, in: Dario Sciulli & Miguel Ángel Malo (ed.), Disadvantaged Workers, edition 1, chapter 9, pages 181-202 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Kangoye, Thierry, 2013. "Youth Employment in Africa: New Evidence and Policies from Swaziland," IZA Discussion Papers 7467, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-08-23 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2013-08-23 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-LAB-2013-08-23 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Zuzana Brixiová & Léonce Ndikumana, 2012.
"Credit constraints and productive entrepreneurship in Africa,"
ICER Working Papers, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research
23-2011, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Léonce Ndikumana & Mina Baliamoune-Lutz & Zuzana Brixiová, 2011. "Credit Constraints And Productive Entrepreneurship In Africa," Working Papers, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst wp276, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina & Brixiova, Zuzana & Ndikumana, Leonce, 2011. "Credit Constraints and Productive Entrepreneurship in Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 6193, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stampini, Marco & Verdier-Chouchane, Audrey, 2011.
"Labor Market Dynamics in Tunisia: The Issue of Youth Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5611, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stampini Marco & Verdier-Chouchane Audrey, 2011. "Labor Market Dynamics in Tunisia: The Issue of Youth Unemployment," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-35, September.
- John C. Anyanwu, 2013.
"Characteristics and Macroeconomic Determinants of Youth Employment in Africa,"
African Development Review, African Development Bank,
African Development Bank, vol. 25(2), pages 107-129, 06.
- John Anyanwu, 2013. "Characteristics and Macroeconomic Determinants of Youth Employment in Africa," African Development Review, African Development Bank, African Development Bank, vol. 25(2), pages 107-129.
- Richard K. Johanson & Arvil V. Adams, 2004. "Skills Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15028, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.