Macroeconomics of public sector deficits : the case of Chile
AbstractThe authors analyze the structure of public deficits in Chile, distinguishing between consolidated nonfinancial public deficits and quasifiscal losses of the Central Bank - focusing on the determinants and sustainability of the deficits. In the framework of an estimated portfolio model, they simulate the path of domestic inflation and interest rates for money-financed and debt-financed deficits. Then they trace the effects of deficits, and their form of financing, on private consumption and investment - focusing on empirical estimates of the different channels through which public spending and taxation crowd in or crowd out private spending. Finally, they measure the spillover effects from the deficit to the real exchange rate and the trade surplus. Chile's successful experience suggests that fiscal stabilization is a prerequisite for structural reform - and that structural reform need not be postponed until stabilization is fully achieved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 696.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 1991
Date of revision:
Economic Stabilization; Economic Theory&Research; Public Sector Economics&Finance; Environmental Economics&Policies; Macroeconomic Management;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rodrigo Cerda & Alvaro Donoso & Aldo Lema, 2003. "Fundamentos del Tipo de Cambio Real en Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 244, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Patricio Arrau & Jorge Quiroz & Rómulo Chumacero, 1992. "Ahorro Fiscal y Tipo de Cambio Real," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 29(88), pages 349-386.
- Montiel, Peter J., 1993. "Fiscal aspects of developing countrydebt problems and debt and debt-service reduction operations : a conceptual framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1073, The World Bank.
- Vavouras, Ioannis S., 1999. "Public Sector Deficits: Their Economic and Policy Determinants in the Case of Greece," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 89-100, January.
- Soledad Arellano & Felipe Larraín, 1996. "Tipo de Cambio Real y Gasto Público: Un Modelo Econométrico para Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 33(98), pages 47-76.
- Cukierman, Alex & Kiguel, Miguel A. & Liviatan, Nissan, 1992. "How much to commit to an exchange rate rule : balancing credibility and flexibility," Policy Research Working Paper Series 931, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.