Financial development and survival of African agri-food exports
AbstractThis paper investigates the link between export survival of agri-food products and financial development. It tests the hypothesis that financial development differentially affects the survival of exports across products based on their need of external finance. The authors test whether exports of products that are relatively more reliant on external capital survive longer when initiated in more financially developed countries. The results suggest that agri-food products that require more external finance indeed sustain longer in foreign markets if the exporting country is more financially developed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5649.
Date of creation: 01 May 2011
Date of revision:
Food&Beverage Industry; Economic Theory&Research; Markets and Market Access; Labor Policies; Debt Markets;
Other versions of this item:
- Mélise Jaud & Madina Kukenova, 2011. "Financial development and survival of African agri-food exports," Working Papers halshs-00586320, HAL.
- NEP-AFR-2011-05-14 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2011-05-14 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2011-05-14 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Food Standards, Heterogeneous Firms and Developing Countries’ Export Performance," Working Papers 152084, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Gullstrand, Joakim & Persson, Maria, 2012.
"How to Combine High Sunk Costs of Exporting and Low Export Survival,"
2012:32, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Persson, Maria & Gullstrand, Joakim, 2013. "How to Combine High Sunk Costs of Exporting and Low Export Survival," Working Paper Series 962, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo López, 2013.
"Financial development, exporting and firm heterogeneity in Chile,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 183-207, March.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo López, 2012. "Financial Development, Exporting and Firm Heterogeneity in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 666, Central Bank of Chile.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo Lopez, 2012. "Financial Development, Exporting and Firm Heterogeneity in Chile," Working Papers 51, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Paul Brenton & Olivier Cadot & Martha Denisse Pierola, 2012. "Pathways to African Export Sustainability," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 9380, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.