Access to Banking Finance and Exporting
AbstractThis paper uses firm-level data for the period 1995-2002 to examine whether access to finance increases the probability of exporting of Chilean manufacturing plants. We exploit information on firms´ access to banking debt and changes in the real exchange rate ??RER?? to identify the causal effect of finance on exporting. This is an interesting case to study. The Chilean economy experienced a sustained RER depreciation since 1999, which increased export profitability. We use these changes in RER as a quasi-experiment to study the impact of access to banking finance. Our results show that RER depreciations increase the probability of exporting for firms with access to banking finance and especially for firms in industries with higher financial needs. These results are robust to controlling for other firm characteristics affecting the probability of exporting and also for time varying industry-specific shocks that may affect export performance and banking finance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School in its series Working Papers with number 68.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2014
Date of revision:
Exporting; Banking Finance; Credit Constraints; Firm-Level Data; Chile;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-04-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2014-04-29 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EFF-2014-04-29 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2014-04-29 (International Trade)
- NEP-SBM-2014-04-29 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalina Manova & Shang-Jin Wei & Zhiwei Zhang, 2011. "Firm Exports and Multinational Activity Under Credit Constraints," NBER Working Papers 16905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leslie Yancich).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.