Determinants of repayment performance in Indian micro-credit groups
AbstractDespite their potential importance and ease of modification, impacts of monitoring and loan recovery arrangements on micro-credit groups'repayment performance have rarely been studied. Data on 3,350 expired group loans in 300 Indian villages highlight that regular monitoring and audits, high repayment frequency, consumption smoothing support through rice credit, and having group savings deposited with the lender all significantly increase repayment rates. Estimated magnitudes of their effects vastly exceed those of members'socio-economic characteristics. Significantly lower repayment on loans originating in externally provided grant resources suggests that stringent monitoring will be essential for these to have a sustainable impact.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4885.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Access to Finance; Debt Markets; Bankruptcy and Resolution of Financial Distress; Strategic Debt Management;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-04-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2009-04-13 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-CWA-2009-04-13 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2009-04-13 (Development)
- NEP-MFD-2009-04-13 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jill Luoto & Craig McIntosh & Bruce Wydick, 2007. "Credit Information Systems in Less Developed Countries: A Test with Microfinance in Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 313-334.
- Christian Ahlin & RobertM. Townsend, 2007.
"Using Repayment Data to Test Across Models of Joint Liability Lending,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F11-F51, 02.
- Christian Ahlin & Robert Townsend, 2002. "Using Repayment Data to Test Across Models of Joint Liability Lending," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics 0227, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Conning & Christopher Udry, 2005.
"Rural Financial Markets in Developing Countries,"
Working Papers, Economic Growth Center, Yale University
914, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Joel M. Guttman, 2006. "Repayment Performance in Group Lending Programs: A Survey," NFI Working Papers 2006-WP-01, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Peer Monitoring and Credit Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 351-66, September.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Besley, Timothy & Guinnane, Timothy W, 1994.
"Thy Neighbor's Keeper: The Design of a Credit Cooperative with Theory and a Test,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 491-515, May.
- Guinnane, T. & Banerjee, A. & Besley, T., 1993. "Thy Neighbor's Keeper: the Design of a Credit Cooperative with Theory and a Test," Papers, Yale - Economic Growth Center 705, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S., 1991.
"Group Lending, Repayment Incentives And Social Collateral,"
Papers, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies
152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1995. "Group lending, repayment incentives and social collateral," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007.
"Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3827, The World Bank.
- Zeller, Manfred, 1998. "Determinants of Repayment Performance in Credit Groups: The Role of Program Design, Intragroup Risk Pooling, and Social Cohesion," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(3), pages 599-620, April.
- Armendariz de Aghion, Beatriz, 1999. "On the design of a credit agreement with peer monitoring," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 79-104, October.
- Luoto, Jill & McIntosh, Craig & Wydick, Bruce, 2007. "Credit Information Systems in Less Developed Countries: A Test with Microfinance in Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 313-34, January.
- Sofia Pereira & Paulo Mourao, 2012. "Why does the microcredit borrowing rate differ across countries? A cross-country study," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(8), pages 536-550, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.