The long-run impact of orphanhood
AbstractThis paper presents unique evidence that orphanhood matters in the long run for health and education outcomes, in a region of Northwestern Tanzania. The paper studies a sample of 718 non-orphaned children surveyed in 1991-94, who were traced and re-interviewed as adults in 2004. A large proportion, 19 percent, lost one or more parents before the age of 15 in this period, allowing the authors to assess the permanent health and education impacts of orphanhood. The analysis controls for a wide range of child and adult characteristics before orphanhood, as well as community fixed effects. The findings show that maternal orphanhood has a permanent adverse impact of 2 cm of final height attainment and one year of educational attainment. Expressing welfare in terms of consumption expenditure, the result is a gap of 8.5 percent compared with similar children whose mother survived till at least their 15th birthday.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4353.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Health Monitoring&Evaluation; Street Children; Youth and Governance; Primary Education; Population Policies;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bell, Clive & Gersbach, Hans, 2006.
"The Macroeconomics of Targeting: The Case of an Enduring Epidemic,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2393, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bell, Clive & Gersbach, Hans, 2009. "The macroeconomics of targeting: the case of an enduring epidemic," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 54-72, January.
- Bell, Clive & Gersbach, Hans, 2006. "The Macroeconomics of Targeting: The Case of an Enduring Epidemic," CEPR Discussion Papers 5714, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel Suryadarma & Yus Medina Pakpahan & Asep Suryahadi, 2009.
"The Effects of Parental Death and Chronic Poverty on ChildrenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Education and Health : Evidence from Indonesia,"
Development Economics Working Papers
23043, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Daniel Suryadarma & Yus Medina Pakpahan & Asep Suryahadi, 2009. "The Effects of Parental Death and Chronic Poverty on ChildrenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Education and Health : Evidence from Indonesia," Development Economics Working Papers 22549, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Beegle, Kathleen & Filmer, Deon & Stokes, Andrew & Tiererova, Lucia, 2010.
"Orphanhood and the Living Arrangements of Children in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1727-1746, December.
- Beegle, Kathleen & Filmer, Deon & Stokes, Andrew & Tiererova, Lucia, 2009. "Orphanhood and the living arrangements of children in sub-saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4889, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.