Social safety nets in World Bank lending and analytical work : FY2002 - 2007
AbstractThis paper summarizes the state of the portfolio of World Bank lending activities and analytic work on social safety nets between FY2002-2007. It presents a description of the methodology used for compiling the inventories and analyses by region, type of intervention involved, sector board, and instrument. The World Bank has engaged with 118 countries on safety nets issues over the six years under review, providing lending in 68, analytic products in 86, training in 87, and a combined package of all three services in 42, demonstrating the increased sophistication and the important role of safety nets in social policy. There is noticeable variability over time as the portfolio and analytic effort expand when large or multiple countries face economic crises. The regional distribution of safety net activities shows the dominance of Latin America. The analysis also shows the diversity within the portfolio, with respect to both the type of intervention supported and the range of sectors involved in safety net work. Finally, the report delineates the implications and outlook for the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Social Protection Discussion Papers with number 44730.
Date of creation: 01 May 2008
Date of revision:
Safety Nets and Transfers; Banks&Banking Reform; Labor Policies; Debt Markets;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Almeida, Rita K. & Galasso, Emanuela, 2007.
"Jump-Starting Self-Employment? Evidence among Welfare Participants in Argentina,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2902, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Almeida, Rita & Galasso, Emanuela, 2007. "Jump-starting self-employment ? Evidence among welfare participants in Argentina," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4270, The World Bank.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2003.
"Social protection in a crisis - Argentina's Plan Jefes y Jefas,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3165, The World Bank.
- Emanuela Galasso & Martin Ravallion, 2004. "Social Protection in a Crisis: Argentina's Plan Jefes y Jefas," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(3), pages 367-399.
- Deon Filmer & Norbert Schady, 2008.
"Getting Girls into School: Evidence from a Scholarship Program in Cambodia,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 581-617.
- Filmer, Deon & Schady, Norbert, 2006. "Getting girls into school : evidence from a scholarship program in Cambodia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3910, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "The World Bank Annual Report 2007," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7534, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.