McKean's Methods Applied to American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes
AbstractIn this paper we derive the implicit integral equation for the price of an American call option in the case where the underlying asset follows a jump-diffusion process. We extend McKean's incomplete Fourier transform approach to solve the free boundary problem under Merton's framework, with the distribution for the jump size remaining unspecified. We show how our results are consistent with those of Gukhal (2001), who derived the same integral equation using the Geske-Johnson discretisation approach. The paper also derives some results concerning the limit for the free boundary at expiry, and presents an iterative numerical algorithm for solving the linked integral equation system for the American call's price and early exercise boundary. This scheme is applied to Merton's jump-diffusion model, where the jumps are log-normally distributed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Research Paper Series with number 117.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
american options; jump-diffusion; volterra integral equation; free-boundary problem;
Other versions of this item:
- Andrew Ziogas & Carl Chiarella, 2003. "McKean’s Method applied to American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 39, Society for Computational Economics.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2004-06-02 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2004-06-02 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amin, Kaushik I, 1993. " Jump Diffusion Option Valuation in Discrete Time," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1833-63, December.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Chandrasekhar Reddy Gukhal, 2001. "Analytical Valuation of American Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 97-115.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2002.
"Evaluation of American Strangles,"
Research Paper Series
83, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 1992. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 87-106.
- Jarrow, Robert A & Rosenfeld, Eric R, 1984. "Jump Risks and the Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(3), pages 337-51, July.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-24, December.
- S. D. Jacka, 1991. "Optimal Stopping and the American Put," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 1-14.
- Mulinacci, Sabrina, 1996. "An approximation of American option prices in a jump-diffusion model," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Ball, Clifford A & Torous, Walter N, 1985. " On Jumps in Common Stock Prices and Their Impact on Call Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 155-73, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Philippe Jorion, 1988. "On Jump Processes in the Foreign Exchange and Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 427-445.
- Kim, In Joon, 1990. "The Analytic Valuation of American Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 547-72.
- Chiarella, Carl & Ziogas, Andrew, 2005.
"Evaluation of American strangles,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 31-62, January.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2002. "Evaluation of American Strangles," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 28, Society for Computational Economics.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2002. "Evaluation of American Strangles," Research Paper Series 83, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.