American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes: A Fourier Transform Approach
AbstractThis paper considers the Fourier transform approach to derive the implicit integral equation for the price of an American call option in the case where the underlying asset follows a jump-diffusion process. Using the method of Jamshidian (1992), we demonstrate that the call option price is given by the solution to an inhomogeneous integro-partial differential equation in an unbounded domain, and subsequently derive the solution using Fourier transforms. We also extend McKean’s incomplete Fourier transform approach to solve the free boundary problem under Merton’s framework, for a general jump size distribution. We show how the two methods are related to each other, and also to the Geske-Johnson compound option approach used by Gukhal (2001). The paper also derives results concerning the limit for the free boundary at expiry, and presents a numerical algorithm for solving the linked integral equation system for the American call price, delta and early exercise boundary. This scheme is applied to Merton’s jump-diffusion model, where the jumps are log-normally distributed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney in its series Research Paper Series with number 174.
Date of creation: 01 May 2006
Date of revision:
American options; jump-diffusion; Volterra integral equation; free boundary problem;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Jarrow, Robert A & Rosenfeld, Eric R, 1984. "Jump Risks and the Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(3), pages 337-51, July.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-24, December.
- Mark Broadie & Yusaku Yamamoto, 2003. "Application of the Fast Gauss Transform to Option Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(8), pages 1071-1088, August.
- Alan L. Lewis, 2000. "Option Valuation under Stochastic Volatility," Option Valuation under Stochastic Volatility, Finance Press, number ovsv, July.
- Kim, In Joon, 1990. "The Analytic Valuation of American Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 547-72.
- S. D. Jacka, 1991. "Optimal Stopping and the American Put," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 1-14.
- Chandrasekhar Reddy Gukhal, 2001. "Analytical Valuation of American Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 97-115.
- Ball, Clifford A & Torous, Walter N, 1985. " On Jumps in Common Stock Prices and Their Impact on Call Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 155-73, March.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni, 2005. "The saga of the American put," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2909-2918, November.
- Mulinacci, Sabrina, 1996. "An approximation of American option prices in a jump-diffusion model," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Leif Andersen & Jesper Andreasen, 2000. "Jump-Diffusion Processes: Volatility Smile Fitting and Numerical Methods for Option Pricing," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 231-262, October.
- Philippe Jorion, 1988. "On Jump Processes in the Foreign Exchange and Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 427-445.
- Amin, Kaushik I, 1993. " Jump Diffusion Option Valuation in Discrete Time," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1833-63, December.
- Siim Kallast & Andi Kivinukk, 2003. "Pricing and Hedging American Options Using Approximations by Kim Integral Equations," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 361-383.
- Carl Chiarella & Adam Kucera & Andrew Ziogas, 2004. "A Survey of the Integral Representation of American Option Prices," Research Paper Series 118, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Gerald Cheang & Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2009. "An Analysis of American Options under Heston Stochastic Volatility and Jump-Diffusion Dynamics," Research Paper Series 256, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang & Gunter H. Meyer & Andrew Ziogas, 2008.
"The Evaluation of American Option Prices Under Stochastic Volatility and Jump-Diffusion Dynamics Using the Method of Lines,"
Research Paper Series
219, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang & Gunter H. Meyer & Andrew Ziogas, 2009. "The Evaluation Of American Option Prices Under Stochastic Volatility And Jump-Diffusion Dynamics Using The Method Of Lines," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(03), pages 393-425.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.