Oracle Properties and Finite Sample Inference of the Adaptive Lasso for Time Series Regression Models
AbstractWe derive new theoretical results on the properties of the adaptive least absolute shrinkage and selection operator (adaptive lasso) for time series regression models. In particular we investigate the question of how to conduct finite sample inference on the parameters given an adaptive lasso model for some fixed value of the shrinkage parameter. Central in this study is the test of the hypothesis that a given adaptive lasso parameter equals zero, which therefore tests for a false positive. To this end we construct a simple (conservative) testing procedure and show, theoretically and empirically through extensive Monte Carlo simulations, that the adaptive lasso combines efficient parameter estimation, variable selection, and valid finite sample inference in one step. Moreover, we analytically derive a bias correction factor that is able to significantly improve the empirical coverage of the test on the active variables. Finally, we apply the introduced testing procedure to investigate the relation between the short rate dynamics and the economy, thereby providing a statistical foundation (from a model choice perspective) to the classic Taylor rule monetary policy model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science in its series Economics Working Paper Series with number 1327.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Adaptive lasso; Time series; Oracle properties; Finite sample inference; Taylor rule monetary policy model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Francesco Audrino & Lorenzo Camponovo, 2013. "Oracle Properties and Finite Sample Inference of the Adaptive Lasso for Time Series Regression Models," Papers 1312.1473, arXiv.org.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-10-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2013-10-25 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2013-10-25 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-ORE-2013-10-25 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anders Bredahl Kock & Laurent A.F. Callot, 2012. "Oracle Inequalities for High Dimensional Vector Autoregressions," CREATES Research Papers 2012-16, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- MArcelo C. Medeiros & Eduardo F.Mendes, 2012.
"Estimating High-Dimensional Time Series Models,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
602, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001.
"A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables,"
NBER Working Papers
8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003. "A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Chatterjee, A. & Lahiri, S. N., 2011. "Bootstrapping Lasso Estimators," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 106(494), pages 608-625.
- Dewachter, Hans & Lyrio, Marco, 2006.
"Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 119-140, February.
- Hans Dewachter & Marco Lyrio, 2003. "Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0304, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Hans Dewachter, 2004. "Macro factors and the term structure of interest rates," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 25, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Dewachter, H.D.R. & Lyrio, M., 2003. "Macro factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-037-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Hans Dewachter & Marco Lyrio, 2003. "Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," International Economics Working Papers Series ces0304, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, International Economics.
- Hans Dewachter & Marco Lyrio, 2002. "Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," International Economics Working Papers Series wpie007, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, International Economics.
- Moench, Emanuel, 2008.
"Forecasting the yield curve in a data-rich environment: A no-arbitrage factor-augmented VAR approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 26-43, September.
- Mönch, Emanuel, 2005. "Forecasting the yield curve in a data-rich environment: a no-arbitrage factor-augmented VAR approach," Working Paper Series 0544, European Central Bank.
- Hansheng Wang & Guodong Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Regression coefficient and autoregressive order shrinkage and selection via the lasso," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(1), pages 63-78.
- Nardi, Y. & Rinaldo, A., 2011. "Autoregressive process modeling via the Lasso procedure," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 528-549, March.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1998.
"Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
6442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Monetary Policy Rules And Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence And Some Theory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 115(1), pages 147-180, February.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "Monetary policy rules and macroeconomic stability: Evidence and some theory," Economics Working Papers 350, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 1999.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1998. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 1908, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anders Bredahl Kock, 2012. "On the Oracle Property of the Adaptive Lasso in Stationary and Nonstationary Autoregressions," CREATES Research Papers 2012-05, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Audrino, Francesco & Knaus, Simon, 2012. "Lassoing the HAR model: A Model Selection Perspective on Realized Volatility Dynamics," Economics Working Paper Series 1224, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Zou, Hui, 2006. "The Adaptive Lasso and Its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1418-1429, December.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Guggenberger, Patrik, 2010. "ASYMPTOTIC SIZE AND A PROBLEM WITH SUBSAMPLING AND WITH THE m OUT OF n BOOTSTRAP," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 426-468, April.
- Hsu, Nan-Jung & Hung, Hung-Lin & Chang, Ya-Mei, 2008. "Subset selection for vector autoregressive processes using Lasso," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3645-3657, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.